Hammers - swaging and setting

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.
Ernest Becker
PostsCOLON 36
JoinedCOLON August 25th, 2011, 4:48 am

Hammers - swaging and setting

Post by Ernest Becker » September 17th, 2011, 5:44 am

What hammers do you use for tuning a crosscut saw?
...swaging vs setting?
...new vs vintage?
...weight?
...cost?
Photos and links are a plus.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by 1 on Ernest Becker, edited 0 times in total.

Ernest Becker
PostsCOLON 36

Re: Hammers - swaging and setting

Post by Ernest Becker » September 17th, 2011, 5:49 am

Here is a new and commercially available hammer that I have not used but looks like it might be ok.
It is an Osborne #57 16oz riveting hammer that costs ~$30. The website also shows a 12oz version.

http://www.tinnerstools.com/os5riha1.html
Attachments
yhst-95230471585310_2173_22997217.gif

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 717
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » September 17th, 2011, 12:00 pm

I use a vintage Atkins #4, purchased on Ebay for about $40.00. I'd guess it weighs about 12-16oz. I ground one face flat and took off the rounded edge typically found on hammers. A rounded edge is to prevent the hammer from chipping when striking hard on a large object , but since I only use this side of the hammer for raker swaging, I can get more of the face into the raker's small V and am less likely to miss that small target. I also put a piece of leather against the front side of the forward raker while hammering to keep from hitting it accidentally.

I use the other side of the hammer with the rounded edges for tooth setting. I've seen these hammers chamfered to make a smaller face, which is less likely to strike an adjacent tooth when setting the smaller teeth of a one-man saw.

Flat ground face
Atkins #4 face 1.jpg
Regular face
Atkins #4 face 2.jpg
Raker swaging guard
Swaging small raker.jpg

David's Crosscuts
PostsCOLON 75
JoinedCOLON August 16th, 2011, 7:46 pm
LocationCOLON Salmon Idaho

Post by David's Crosscuts » September 18th, 2011, 7:04 pm

Here's a hammer that I've been using for swaging and tooth setting. Its a hammer that Harbor Freights sells for about $10. Its a little light at 7 oz but works fairly well.
011.JPG

Ernest Becker
PostsCOLON 36

Post by Ernest Becker » September 21st, 2011, 5:55 am

PATCsawyer and David's crosscuts,

Thank you for the photos. May I ask what is the diameter of the striking face on these hammers?

PATCsawyer, thanks for the advice on the leather raker guard - I will definitely try that.

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 717
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » September 21st, 2011, 8:29 am

Face side of my Atkins hammer is about the size of a dime. The leather guard is for small saw rakers, as the big ones are an easier target.

Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 184
JoinedCOLON February 9th, 2011, 6:26 pm
LocationCOLON Northern California

Post by Crosscut Sawyer » September 26th, 2011, 7:12 pm

I've tried 5 and 7 oz hammers, but I found them too light for swaging rakers. It often felt like I had to strike too hard to make an impact, so the risk of missing was greater, as was the frequency. :x
It wasn't until I got a 16oz hammer that I was able to feel the rakers really give way to the hammer blows. I bet a 12oz would be plenty, if it had a good balance and the right size face. I'm sure some folks will disagree, of course...

Sorry, Ernest, I don't have it with me to measure right now...

trailcrew
PostsCOLON 370
JoinedCOLON February 16th, 2011, 9:47 am
LocationCOLON Asheville, NC

Post by trailcrew » September 27th, 2011, 4:17 pm

I feel the same as CrosscutSawyer. I use a 16 oz estwing geologist's hammer for swaging. I ground the face flat and shortened the handle a hair. Face is about 3/4 in. square. For setting, I use something very similar to that riveting hammer.
Josh

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508
JoinedCOLON April 20th, 2011, 8:24 am
LocationCOLON Northern Virginia

Post by goodfeller » September 28th, 2011, 12:00 pm

I've wondered about a geologist hammer; I use a rivet hammer much like the one pictured but may give the geologist a try; I think I have one somewhere from when my daughter took geology in college. At one point I was using an auto body repair hammer I got from Harbor Freight and ground down for setting. Worked OK and only cost around $6.00 but I notice that Harbor Freight no longer sells them singly--have to buy a set. I use PATCSawyer's leather and wood tooth guard now but I have also used a piece of split garden hose; again, worked OK but not as elegant.

ChiricahuaZac
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON November 21st, 2011, 2:22 pm
LocationCOLON SE Arizona

Post by ChiricahuaZac » November 22nd, 2011, 10:08 am

I use a hammer simmilar to PATCsawyer, 16oz flat on one side (rakers) and rounded edges on the other (teeth). I have trouble using a hammer with rounded edges on Rakers, as I seem to hit with the edge of the hammer a lot. So one can imagin what happens when you catch a rounded edge on your blow; glances off and hits the next tooth. Or it just makes an ugly mess of your raker.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY