Removing metal hardware from this loop handle?

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.
bwilbur
PostsCOLON 18
JoinedCOLON November 29th, 2014, 5:54 am

Removing metal hardware from this loop handle?

Post by bwilbur » February 9th, 2020, 12:57 pm

I would like to remove the metal hardware from this handle for cleaning but it seems to be clamped on rather than screwed on. There is a retainer ring that seems to be clamped onto the wood, and then the washer is held on by 4 flaps which appear to be part of the retainer ring. I would start with bending the flaps and removing the washer but I am guessing they would break. Does anyone have experience with removing the metal from a handle like this?
20200209_153425.jpg

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 757
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Removing metal hardware from this loop handle?

Post by Jim_Thode » February 10th, 2020, 9:46 am

I've never seen where anyone disassembled one of those. I'd suggest that you clean it as is without taking it apart. Some wire wheel on the metal and sandpaper on the wood with some finish of your choice should make it look and function as new.

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 697
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » February 10th, 2020, 12:35 pm

The nut hardware on this type of handle is set deep in the wood. You can remove the washer by putting the handle loosely in a vise that supports the outer ring and tap a metal rod of a smaller diameter than the screw bolt inside the handle. This will bend the four prongs out from the bottom of the washer and it will pop off. The remaining band appears to be squished on and won't slip off like most loop handle hardware. Removing it might be a destructive effort. The washer can be refitted over the four prongs and you can bend them back with the round side of a ball peen hammer. You can probably get away with this once without over-fatiguing the metal, but I'd recommend you just leave it like it is and either accept the patina of rust or steel wool the metal and paint it a nice never-lose red.

bwilbur
PostsCOLON 18
JoinedCOLON November 29th, 2014, 5:54 am

Post by bwilbur » February 10th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Thank you both. Seems like the conservative approach is the better choice here. Even if I were to get lucky with handle, Murphy's law would probably kick for the second one! Much appreciated....

BUTTON_POST_REPLY