Lubricant

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.
Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 739
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Lubricant

Post by Jim_Thode » December 1st, 2019, 9:37 am

John,
I never heard of using any bar oil on crosscuts. By itself it seem like it would be too thick and sticky but maybe diluted it would be ok. I think I've heard of some modern sawyers using a graphite based lubricant and that would not be as sticky. For normal sawing (non-competition) I see the "lubricant" to be more of a solvent to cut the pitch and with the proper set in the saw there should be no need for any lubricant.

Large jobs like your spruce beetle-kill areas and forest fire areas can be done with crosscuts, just takes more time then power equipment. We are always struggling staying within the FS wilderness requirements and the time it takes on the big jobs. Sometime a waver has been granted and sometimes not.
Jim

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 686
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » December 2nd, 2019, 10:15 am

I tried one of those orange cleaners and wasn’t happy with it. Sawing through a large oak, the orange stuff didn’t provide much lubrication and worse, it stained my saw blade with a mottled blackish residue that also transferred to my hands. I don’t know if that was caused by just the orange cleaner or its mix with the moisture in the tree, but it made a mess of my saw. I never had that problem with WD-40 or diesel, which actually lubricates the cut and leaves the blade clean at finish.

The photo doesn’t show the darkened blade very well but it was shiny when it went into the cut. The second pic shows the rootwad after it stood up. Zoom on the butt end and you’ll see black stains that rubbed off the saw.
fullsizeoutput_1850.jpeg
Broad Hollow 3.JPG

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 739
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Jim_Thode » December 2nd, 2019, 5:29 pm

Staining on steel and wood is common with green oak, maybe the citrus solvent promotes that staining. Many sawmill beds are stainless steel to prevent the staining when cutting green oak.

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 686
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » December 3rd, 2019, 5:21 am

It could also be the formulation of solvents in the orange cleaner I used. There are many different concoctions of orange cleaners on the market while WD-40 and diesel are basically the same wherever you buy them.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY