Hammers - swaging and setting

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.
azmica saws
PostsCOLON 46
JoinedCOLON February 10th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Re: Hammers - swaging and setting

Post by azmica saws » March 3rd, 2012, 4:19 pm

i know everyone likes pictures so today, after photographing a few saws, i layed these out and took one.
these are some of the hammers i use - from the left: 1) disston 4# cross - 2) two unknown type, marked bell system, 1 1/2# hammers that are quite persuasive .... great for both setting & swedging the big saws - i have even used the head as an anvil in a pinch 3)a light (10oz total) rivet hammer which has been my oldest and most used - notice that it is hung at a slight angle which i have grown to prefer 4) a simonds 337 - it is just a tad heavier than the old standby .... 5)an old dunn 2# cross hammer ... and 6) a simonds 1 1/2# round face. below that photo are some saw tools that were cluttering the bench - i had a chance to straighten up a bit ... putting things in their proper place where i can't just reach for them ..... which is why tidiness never lasts very long around here.
IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2332.JPG

MangoBoy
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON February 22nd, 2019, 1:12 pm

Post by MangoBoy » August 7th, 2019, 6:45 pm

Considering the prices that saw set hammers go for, I have bought a 3-lb drilling hammer, and plan to grind it down (take away everything that doesn't look like a saw set hammer).

What is the very best set hammer style and weight any of you has tried ?

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 683
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Virginia

Post by PATCsawyer » August 8th, 2019, 4:53 am

I'm fond of the Atkins #4. Note the short handle. You won't be taking any big swings when setting/swaging teeth.

fullsizeoutput_17d7.jpeg

BUTTON_POST_REPLY