Curtis Saw Company St. Louis

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.
beng
PostsCOLON 14
JoinedCOLON July 8th, 2015, 3:07 pm

Re: Curtis Saw Company St. Louis

Post by beng » July 22nd, 2015, 5:05 am

Hello,
Here is a five-foot Curtis saw I have been using this summer. It has the etch on it with two men sawing a log. It is a heavy gauge and very stiff, I often use it as a one-man saw as long as the cut is kept vertical. I recently cut up a bunch of apple, cherry and maple with it up to ten-inch in diameter and it really cut well.

I do not think this saw has ever been used or sharpened much, I bought it at a garage sale for ten dollars and just started using it. Besides cutting well it sings a very pretty song when in use.

It is 5 5/16" wide at it's center and the blade is taper ground going from about .066 thick at the back to .080" by the teeth.

The handles on it are what was on it when I got it, I guess someone broke or lost one of them in the past and made their own...

Highway Bob
PostsCOLON 42
JoinedCOLON February 22nd, 2015, 8:08 pm
LocationCOLON Pittsburg, Kansas

Post by Highway Bob » April 7th, 2019, 3:38 pm

I picked up a 6' felling saw yesterday which appears to never have been used. I know somewhere on this site you guys have discussed this ("U) but after an extended search I found nothing. The bottom of the gullets between teeth and between tooth and raker is flat. On opposite sides of either end is the letter "U" at 90 degrees to the plane of the teeth. Rust and a non functioning electrolysis tank preclude me from any additional information. What do I have?

Thanks!

Highway

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 728
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Jim_Thode » April 7th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Highway Bob,
A Simonds No. 66 had flat bottomed raker gullets. See a 1912 catalog at:
https://crosscutsawyer.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1400

Several other vintage catalogs at: https://crosscutsawyer.com/viewforum.php?f=7

Highway Bob
PostsCOLON 42
JoinedCOLON February 22nd, 2015, 8:08 pm
LocationCOLON Pittsburg, Kansas

Post by Highway Bob » April 11th, 2019, 5:00 pm

A picture of the "U" and the flat bottom gullets - this is a 6' felling saw. Who likely made it?
Attachments
saw end.JPG
saw1.JPG

BUTTON_POST_REPLY