Rescued 6 And Half Foot Bucking Saw.

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.
Buggy Whip
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON April 22nd, 2011, 5:13 pm
LocationCOLON Hat Creek, California

Rescued 6 And Half Foot Bucking Saw.

Post by Buggy Whip » December 29th, 2011, 2:43 pm

Length: 78 and 1/4 inchs
Width at "whole teeth" ends: 4 and 3/8 inchs
Width at center: 7 and 1/16 inchs
Tooth length: 1 and 9/16 inchs
Gullets are 1/4 inch deeper then teeth.
Painted machine (battleship?) grey on one side and a lovely mural on the other.
Attachments
171.JPG
169.JPG
170.JPG

Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 184
JoinedCOLON February 9th, 2011, 6:26 pm
LocationCOLON Northern California

Re: Rescued 6 And Half Foot Bucking Saw.

Post by Crosscut Sawyer » January 10th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Every Simonds 503 Royal Chinook I've seen has the half tooth at the end, like yours. I know there are a few other lance bucking saws that do that too, but do you have a 503 you could lay over it? Even if it is a different length, the tooth pattern should match. (Unless they were made decades apart, I have seen some slight variations, too). In other words, it could confirm, but not cancel out, the possibility of it being a 503.

Why no pictures of this lovely mural??? I need ideas for when I finally get around to painting all my 503's... :P

Buggy Whip
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON April 22nd, 2011, 5:13 pm
LocationCOLON Hat Creek, California

Post by Buggy Whip » January 10th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Ahhh! The 7 1/2 teeth on each end is what caught my eye on this saw.
No 503s around to compare it to.
This is my only picture of the lovely mural:
Attachments
020.JPG

Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 184
JoinedCOLON February 9th, 2011, 6:26 pm
LocationCOLON Northern California

Post by Crosscut Sawyer » January 10th, 2012, 9:03 pm

Ha! Nice, the murals look better that way anyhow. I will see what I can do to help you out this weekend, but I am away from home till then. Have you. He checked the teeth, ends and middle back with a micrometer yet?

trolleypup
PostsCOLON 231
JoinedCOLON March 18th, 2012, 10:11 pm
LocationCOLON San Francisco, CA, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Post by trolleypup » March 24th, 2012, 9:51 am

Crosscut Sawyer wroteCOLONEvery Simonds 503 Royal Chinook I've seen has the half tooth at the end, like yours. I know there are a few other lance bucking saws that do that too, but do you have a 503 you could lay over it? Even if it is a different length, the tooth pattern should match. (Unless they were made decades apart, I have seen some slight variations, too). In other words, it could confirm, but not cancel out, the possibility of it being a 503.

Why no pictures of this lovely mural??? I need ideas for when I finally get around to painting all my 503's... :P
At least some 520s have the half tooth as well, but they have the narrow gullets and those weird tiny half-moon cutouts on the back near the ends.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY