Help identifying partial etch - Ideal

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.
Phiz
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON October 14th, 2021, 7:44 am
LocationCOLON Portland Oregon

Help identifying partial etch - Ideal

Post by Phiz » October 22nd, 2021, 3:40 pm

Picked up an "art project" with the etch painted over, the other side was varnished. Removed some of the paint and got the partial etch:
IMG_0692.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG
Any ideas?
IMG_0689.JPG
Can make out IDEAL,
Warrented, Patent, Ground, <something> Steel
Made In the USA

Never sharpened. Teeth seem small, the total length is 47 inches and about 6 inches tall at the handle.

Got my first winter project!

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 774
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Help identifying partial etch - Ideal

Post by Jim_Thode » October 23rd, 2021, 7:40 am

Painted saws can be in better shape then non-painted saws. I do not recognized the logo.

You can get an idea how long the teeth were originally by the shape of the rounded edge near the handle end. When new the teeth would have been the same height as that rounded part. Also you can see that the teeth have been filed down more and are shorter near then midsection of the saw then the ends. Even though it has seen a lot of use could be sharpened up and be a good user saw.

Phiz
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON October 14th, 2021, 7:44 am
LocationCOLON Portland Oregon

Re: Help identifying partial etch - Ideal

Post by Phiz » October 24th, 2021, 6:48 am

My wife found the same font and the rising sun mark for a Farwell, Ozmun, Kirk Co little handsaw. Pretty sure mine says "Cast Steel".
2021-10-24 07_21_19-RARE HAND SAW Farwell, Ozmun, Kirk Co 1800s st paul minn gilt edge wheat handle .jpg

BUTTON_POST_REPLY