Need help Identifying a one man

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.
CHB
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON January 22nd, 2021, 4:12 pm
CONTACTCOLON

Need help Identifying a one man

Post by CHB » March 15th, 2021, 6:59 pm

I picked this saw up at an antique store a couple of months ago before I had done any research on crosscut saws. I restored It despite pitting through out the saw and It turned out alright. I made a video of the restoration, I will put a link to the video below. I have done more filing since the video and am still fine tuning the saw a bit. The D handle I put on it is temporary until I get a good piece of hardwood to make another one from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15VLrDwotzQ&t=27s

I have no clue as to who made the saw but one interesting feature is the location of the holes for the saw nuts. The three holes for saw nuts are arranged in a vertical pattern instead of the regular spots for the holes on a one man saw. The saw is flat ground, 42inches long without the handle, 6in wide at the widest point. The original D handle was beech with bronze saw nuts. There was no makers medallion or even a spot for one in what was left of the original handle. Another thing to note is the shape of the back teeth which I don't think have ever been filed. They are shaped more like triangles than the regular almond like shaped champion teeth. Any advice about the saw would be much appreciated. Thanks

-CHB
Attachments
one man crosscut saw.jpg

sumnergeo
PostsCOLON 315
JoinedCOLON February 22nd, 2011, 12:31 pm
LocationCOLON Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Minneapolis

Re: Need help Identifying a one man

Post by sumnergeo » March 17th, 2021, 5:35 pm

I counted a number of starter teeth at the toe of the saw, 13? It has been filed a lot so any tooth shape was lost a long time ago. A quick look through some old catalogs show that Atkins had seven starters, Disston might have had 11 starter teeth and Simonds more in the 5 to 7. If you can find a stamped circle in a diamond at the heel, then that would be an old Curtis.

CHB
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON January 22nd, 2021, 4:12 pm
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Need help Identifying a one man

Post by CHB » March 23rd, 2021, 9:21 am

Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned this in the original post but the saw has 14 starter teeth and 4 starter teeth at the heel. Wasn't able to find any markings at the heel, but there were some spots of pitting that could have rusted the marking away.

-CHB

BUTTON_POST_REPLY