Crosscut Saw certification

Got a trail project or crosscut saw training or certification course you want to advertise? Post it here!
jtorok
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON May 31st, 2016, 4:43 pm
LocationCOLON Fredonia, PA

Crosscut Saw certification

Post by jtorok » May 5th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Missed crosscut saw cert at WSI due virus cancellations. Any leads on a recert class in eastern US? PA, VA, NH, VT or wherever?

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 757
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Crosscut Saw certification

Post by Jim_Thode » May 5th, 2020, 8:27 pm

At least on the west coast certifications that were due to be renewed were extended one year due to the pandemic. I don't know of that would help you out on the east coast.

PackStringSaw
PostsCOLON 51
JoinedCOLON July 22nd, 2012, 3:35 am
LocationCOLON Southwest Colorado

Post by PackStringSaw » May 6th, 2020, 3:17 am

What Jim said is what we have in Colorado, too - a one year extension for any crosscut or chainsaw certifications that would expire from last October 1 to the end of this coming September - the 2020 fiscal year. I understand there are some virtual classes being offered through a few organizations like Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado where the class portion is conducted on-line and the field portion will be done when the COVID-19 (which apparently doesn't abide by fiscal years) clears up or sooner, if field operations begin mid-May as it looks like might happen. I'm guessing some other trail organizations around the country might be doing virtual classes, too, for new certifications? Our San Juan Back Country Horsemen chapter, working with the FS and our local trails council, is helping prepare operational guidelines for doing trail work this Summer, which can be interesting to try to figure out, but it looks like we might end up with some reasonable, do-able ways to get trail work done this year.
John

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 697
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » May 6th, 2020, 4:05 am

The other side of that coin is the first aid/CPR requirement. I tried to get recerted for that several months ago but couldn't get into a class ( was told "we offer those in the spring") and now they're all cancelled. Those also need to be extended, as they go hand in hand.

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 757
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Jim_Thode » May 6th, 2020, 6:29 am

For first aid CPR you should be able to do that online. There are several option available. I've did that in the past and now they have said they would accept it.

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 697
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » May 6th, 2020, 7:03 am

The trail group I work with requires that the CPR portion of the training be "hands on". Having the online only cert accepted would be perfect. My last club required CPR + AED. Never could figure out why we needed AED training since no one carried the heart starter. A mandate from somewhere I guess.

jtorok
PostsCOLON 8

Post by jtorok » May 6th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Thanks for the responses. I will check with Ernie Wiltsie to see if the extension applies in Allegheny and other eastern forest regions.

sandersdwa
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON January 11th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Post by sandersdwa » May 7th, 2020, 6:41 am

Here's the documents from the Forest Service which should cover all FS saw programs. Second one is the FA/CPR that was also extended.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17OOek ... HyQBhpGvVK

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mnFZt ... D1AxMTrPc7

Why can't we attach Word files on here??

jtorok
PostsCOLON 8

Post by jtorok » May 9th, 2020, 8:27 pm

Thanks to all. Ernie Wiltsie confirmed all cert extensions and supplied documents as verification.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY