New to this

A forum about crosscut saw filing
nedsawyer
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON July 9th, 2011, 6:49 pm

New to this

Post by nedsawyer » August 4th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Hi all
I am in the process of setting up a small shop to work on crosscuts. Do any of you have recommendations on what tools one should pick up as far as a basic beginners tool set? I know a long jointer, raker gage, files etc are needed but would like to know if there is a basic set of tools one could start with.

One other thing-is there a place one can find reprints of the various saw catalogs/instructions for the use of tools?

Thanks in advance!

Ray

sumnergeo
PostsCOLON 307
JoinedCOLON February 22nd, 2011, 12:31 pm
LocationCOLON Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Minneapolis

Beginning Tools

Post by sumnergeo » August 5th, 2011, 5:06 am

As a relative novice, here is my list:
1 -jointer that can bend a file to match the curvature of the saw, has a raker gauge and a pin gauge - does not need to be long; could be individual tools; you can make some of these
2 - build a saw vice - you can use a regular vice or even C-clamps but it's fun to build your own
3- hammer to swayge (swage) rakers and set teeth along with an anvil of some sort
4 - spider gauge and feeler gauge
5 - magnifying glasses to see glints on teeth and rakers as you file them

Aguineapig
PostsCOLON 37
JoinedCOLON February 21st, 2011, 6:40 pm

Re: New to this

Post by Aguineapig » August 5th, 2011, 8:06 am

For me- a jointer, files, feeler gauge, something flat (used with feeler to check raker depth), big plunger set and honing stone. Just with those things I can make a saw run good enough.

Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 184
JoinedCOLON February 9th, 2011, 6:26 pm
LocationCOLON Northern California

Post by Crosscut Sawyer » August 5th, 2011, 8:16 am

Welcome to the Forum, Ned!

Sunmer is right, a long jointer isn't required, and some saws aren't in a true arc and can't really be jointed with one anyhow. Good lighting is an absolute must, preferably something that can be moved and set, like the light in the dentist office. I would highly recommend a homemade saw vise, some plans can be found on the forum. Old saw catalogs can be found here too, on the Crosscut Database, and many of these include advertisements with instructions for filing tools. The other thing I didn't see mentioned was files...you'll want a round file for dressing the raker gullets, a 6" flat file for jointing, a slim taper file for rakers, and if you can find an American Pattern file (they are wedge or teardrop shaped on the profile) they are the best for filing cutting teeth, as they are far less likely to nick the tooth next to it.

Hope this helps, and keep digging on the site, lots of info for the newbie! Happy Filing

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508
JoinedCOLON April 20th, 2011, 8:24 am
LocationCOLON Northern Virginia

Post by goodfeller » August 7th, 2011, 6:00 am

Ditto all the advice on tools. You can also find saw vises on eBay but prices are all over the place and it is fun to build your own. In addition to all the good info on this site you might want to download the USFS two pubs Crosscut Saw Manual and Saws That Sing. You can also buy a downloadable copy of Grimshaw"s classic Saw Filing on eBay for $20; I also like the CD entitled Henry Disston and Sons Hand Saws that you can find on eBay for $5.35--it is the one with the guy wearing the tie--CD1624--and contains four old manuals. And of course you should check out PATCSawyer's video on YouTube.

sumnergeo
PostsCOLON 307
JoinedCOLON February 22nd, 2011, 12:31 pm
LocationCOLON Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Minneapolis

Post by sumnergeo » August 7th, 2011, 4:14 pm

What is a big plunger set that A guinea pig refers to.

nedsawyer
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON July 9th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Post by nedsawyer » August 7th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Thank you all! This is a huge help. I have the Crosscut Saw Manual and Saws That Sing along with a few of the catalogs from this forum. The info that I have recieved so far helps make sense of it all. I am building a saw vise...figured it would be fun and looks like it works the best. Again thank you.

Goodfeller- I can't reply to personel messages but drop me your contact info at rdbrown@mtech.edu

Thanks

Aguineapig
PostsCOLON 37
JoinedCOLON February 21st, 2011, 6:40 pm

Post by Aguineapig » August 7th, 2011, 7:47 pm

It's a plier style set, but its built specifically for a CC saw. its really beefy and its set up different. Works well for me.

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508
JoinedCOLON April 20th, 2011, 8:24 am
LocationCOLON Northern Virginia

Post by goodfeller » August 10th, 2011, 10:27 am

Hmmm. A big plunger set. I have one but have never used it. USFS Saw Manual has always scared me off sets. I will have to dig it out and give it a try. Absolutely agree on a feeler gauge; I just use a file with it as the flat surface.

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 666
JoinedCOLON May 17th, 2012, 10:51 am
LocationCOLON Dalbeattie, near Dumfries, Scotland
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » May 24th, 2012, 10:15 pm

goodfeller wroteCOLON... you should check out PATCSawyer's video on YouTube.
PATCSawyer's hyperlink here

BUTTON_POST_REPLY