A forum about crosscut saw filing
trailcrew
PostsCOLON 373
JoinedCOLON February 16th, 2011, 9:47 am
LocationCOLON Asheville, NC

Re: Removing P-Lance Bridges

Post by trailcrew » December 8th, 2023, 6:03 pm

Dan,
What was going on in that log you are underbucking in the photo above? I don’t often see wedges on top and cutting on the bottom. It looks like storm damage though and all sorts of crazy binds happen with those.
Josh

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 740
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » December 9th, 2023, 5:55 am

We were logging out a wilderness trail in the Boundary Waters that took a direct hit from a tornado. The debris was so high, thick, and jackstrawed that you couldn't see much beyond the swamped out cut area. We'd make our best guess on a bind and adjust the plan once we started sawing. In that underbuck pic, I thought I could keep the kerf open long enough to finish with a top cut, but no luck. I suppose I could've knocked out the wedges before finishing the underbuck but sometimes binds and tensions are strange with storm tossed trees. Leaving them in place would give me something to hammer on if I crossed my top and bottom offset cuts and the tree didn't release.

YT of the project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BipKifKgEVI

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 740
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » December 9th, 2023, 6:12 am

Jim_Thode wroteCOLON
December 4th, 2023, 8:08 pm
...........in the West most all large timber professional bucking was single bucking and a heavy stiff saw is required.

Now I think that the idea that single bucking is efficient and in many cases likely safer then double bucking has been over looked by many modern sawyers.
Jim - A stiff saw is certainly helpful. The only double bucking in this short video was the under cut. Saw was a 5-foot bucking saw that had been cut down from a seven footer. I know you're not a fan of D-handles, but they're what I'm used to. The auxiliary handle gives a second point of purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VY-52xNjV8w

Better look of the saw.
P1011704.jpeg

sumnergeo
PostsCOLON 335
JoinedCOLON February 22nd, 2011, 12:31 pm
LocationCOLON Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Minneapolis

Post by sumnergeo » December 11th, 2023, 6:40 am

Just to add to the notion of shortened saws, we are now using a Simonds 324 with the ends cut off and repunched so what was a 5 1/2 ft eastern style saw is now a 5 ft western style saw. I realize after reading the post from trailcrew that it is time to remove the bridges!

I couldn't find a good photo of the center of the saw but there is less than 3/8 inch left to the bridges in the center. The photo shows double bucking but we typically start double bucking before switching to single bucking to finish the cut.
IMG_0425.JPG

BUTTON_POST_REPLY