Western style crosscut saw temper?

A forum about crosscut saw filing
MNSHIELD
PostsCOLON 33
JoinedCOLON December 1st, 2017, 6:14 am

Western style crosscut saw temper?

Post by MNSHIELD » January 4th, 2022, 1:23 pm

I know eastern style (tab ends) saws temper can very greatly within a manufacture like Simonds. Some hardware models like craftsman or some olen bishop saws are very soft temper.

I have two, what appear to be hardware lines of western style saw.

Do western saw share the same traits in varing degrees of temper between the premium and hardware saws?

No doubt I will find out this week when I start filling a 6' felling saw.

Thanks
Mnshield

Trailsawyer
PostsCOLON 106
JoinedCOLON July 1st, 2012, 7:27 am
LocationCOLON SW Washington State

Re: Western style crosscut saw temper?

Post by Trailsawyer » January 6th, 2022, 1:25 pm

There is a difference in the steel quality and temper in the western pattern saws as well. That said, almost all of the house/hardware branded saws were made by the major manufacturers. The "1st quality" saws tend to be the best and most uniform steels, and most are also heavier gauge, taper ground blades. 11 gauge rakers on Simonds Royal Chinooks, Atkins 51 & 52, and Disston 7-11 saws tend to be hard enough that I often temper them before swaging to avoid breaking the tips. Most of the other saws seem to file and set without much trouble -- unless you come across a "spring steel" model!
Good luck on your 6 ft. saw..... and post a picture!
Gary

MNSHIELD
PostsCOLON 33

Post by MNSHIELD » January 6th, 2022, 1:36 pm

Thanks for the reply!

As soon as I started jointing the saw I could tell it did not have a high temper. Same with shapeing the rakers. No worries. This is my first western style saw to file so it will be a good one to work through not working about temper along with the thicker plate.

Mnshield

Starling_Saw
PostsCOLON 223
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 9:02 am
LocationCOLON Southwest Washington State

Post by Starling_Saw » January 6th, 2022, 4:27 pm

I've found that most of the big four companies, Simonds 54RC, Disston 52RC, Olen-Bishop 52RC had tempered their saws to around 50 to 54 RC, Atkins would be a little harder 54-58 RC. When at 58 or more the file will skate on the steel and dull your file pretty fast. Some of the Simonds would be harder on the last couple sets on the ends. Older Curtis saws range in the 50-52 RC. Newer Cutis (Crosscut saw Co.) are in the 46-48 RC Older Jemco 42-46. New water Jet Jemco are 48-50 RC. The Hardware store saws would correspond equal to the companies that made them. These numbers are what I've found using a Hardness tester

MNSHIELD
PostsCOLON 33

Post by MNSHIELD » January 9th, 2022, 10:50 am

I finished the 6' craftsman big timber today. Over all it had a lower temper. The other thing I noticed was the width of the teeth are not uniform. Some are wide and some fairly narrow all in the same set, and is that way throughout the saw.
Test cuts were great in a soft hard wood and a pine log.

Tomorrow this saw will get some time on the trail clearing some big dead hemlock that came down after our last snow storm.

Thanks for all the info shared on here by all you folks with so much experience!

Mnshield
Attachments
20220109_132601.jpg
20220109_132608.jpg
20220108_165809.jpg

sumnergeo
PostsCOLON 323
JoinedCOLON February 22nd, 2011, 12:31 pm
LocationCOLON Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Minneapolis

Post by sumnergeo » January 12th, 2022, 9:06 am

Thanks for sharing the info on the hardness of the steels for different manufacturers. Very useful!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY