A forum about crosscut saw filing
Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 666
JoinedCOLON May 17th, 2012, 10:51 am
LocationCOLON Dalbeattie, near Dumfries, Scotland
CONTACTCOLON

pls comment on this Great American filing system

Post by Gavin Longrain » July 28th, 2013, 1:21 pm

I teach myself filing - very largely with the wonderful help of the folks in this community. :D

I'd appreciate your tips / suggestions for improvement on my filing method so far.

I made up a paper filing guide. I arbitrarily picked 45 degrees for my first attempt.
IMG_2037.JPG
I set the vise to slope at 45 degrees.
IMG_2039.JPG
The height is as shown - would you set it higher or lower? I aim to hold the file horizontal.
IMG_2038.JPG
My strategy is to file each 7th point , then reverse the filing paper and file each 7th point.
IMG_2040.JPG
file every 7th point
Azmica Saws suggested filing the middle tooth of the crown as a 'regulator' tooth to control the feed. So I will file the middle teeth 'blunter' than 45 degrees.

Thoughts / comments / tips / suggestions all welcomed!

trailcrew
PostsCOLON 370
JoinedCOLON February 16th, 2011, 9:47 am
LocationCOLON Asheville, NC

Re: pls comment on this Great American filing system

Post by trailcrew » July 28th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Your system looks great. I've been experimenting quite a bit lately with ways to get consistent angles when filing cutters. Mostly, I've been using my body positioning to reference angles. I square up to the teeth and file ambidextrously, even though I'm a righty and it's taken some getting used to. If my elbow starts the stroke right at my side, I know it'll get me a hardwood fleam. If I kick my elbow out about a foot, I'm well into softwood territory. Getting consistent points has been more difficult.
Josh

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 666
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » July 28th, 2013, 9:50 pm

trailcrew wroteCOLON I've been experimenting quite a bit lately with ways to get consistent angles when filing cutters. Mostly, I've been using my body positioning to reference angles. I square up to the teeth and file ambidextrously, even though I'm a righty and it's taken some getting used to. If my elbow starts the stroke right at my side, I know it'll get me a hardwood fleam. If I kick my elbow out about a foot, I'm well into softwood territory. Getting consistent points has been more difficult.
Your 'BP4RA' system i.e. body position for reference angle I think is very elegant. It needs no gauges, no numbers, & is easily understood.

I think the fleam on this particular saw will suit softwood better and we'll shortly see.
trailcrew wroteCOLON Getting consistent points has been more difficult.
Have you tried offering up a paper template?
IMG_2047.JPG
Tooth profile of 0.55 inch pitch offered against saw of 0.5 inch pitch
I attach the GA template illustrated above which may help you. According to pundits I have asked, the gullets here need to be approx 1/4 " deeper. Wait for v2! But at least this will give you the tooth profile. If you print this on A4 paper you'll get one result and if you print on US 'letter' paper you'll get a different size. I will address this confusion in later posts when my CAD-friend returns.

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 666
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » July 29th, 2013, 7:04 am

trailcrew wroteCOLONYour system looks great. I've been experimenting quite a bit lately with ways to get consistent angles when filing cutters. Mostly, I've been using my body positioning to reference angles. I square up to the teeth and file ambidextrously, even though I'm a righty and it's taken some getting used to. If my elbow starts the stroke right at my side, I know it'll get me a hardwood fleam. If I kick my elbow out about a foot, I'm well into softwood territory. Getting consistent points has been more difficult.
In case it helps others, I attach a pdf to indicate fleam. You print it and cut horizontally. Lay the angle of your choice on your vise to give alternating lines to keep your file parallel to. I do not say that (say) a paper-indicated angle of say 70 degrees is 70 degrees fleam.
It is just an aiming guide.
IMG_2046.JPG
draft fleam angles v1.pdf
(28.24 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 666
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » June 21st, 2020, 11:58 am

Fleam angles - 5 - 15 degrees.pdf
Fleam: 5°, 10°, 15°
(16.75 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Fleam angles - 20 - 30 degrees.pdf
Fleam: 20°, 25°, 30°
(17.41 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Fleam angles - 35 -45 degrees.pdf
Fleam: 35°, 40°, 45°
(18.23 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

macg
PostsCOLON 7
JoinedCOLON July 20th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Post by macg » June 21st, 2020, 4:38 pm

Hi Gavin,

the date on your first post is back in July 2013,

how did you go with your filling of the GA tooth pattern saw??

They are rather complex, with a lot of different angles to take care with.

I have quite a few saws with this tooth pattern, most of them unused or with
original factory filling.

I have not sharpened any of them yet but when I do, I'll measure the different angles
with a protractor and use a Veritas file guide and do each similar facet before moving on to the next facet
hoping that will help to keep consistency.

I too use lines on a board, placed in the field of vision to help keep the angles consistent.

Graham.

Gavin Longrain
PostsCOLON 666
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Gavin Longrain » August 11th, 2020, 2:00 am

I have now filed lots of the Great American. My experience is here:
https://www.shedtherapy.com/create-toot ... rican-saw/

Whilst GA saws cut at half the speed of a well-tuned raker saw they are much less than half the effort to maintain. If you run a raker through dirty wood you create many hours of tuning to remedy damage. But a GA saw that has had a crash into dirt - you can put that right much more quickly.

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 697
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » August 11th, 2020, 6:27 am

Filing that second bevel on the gullet side of the saw (fig 24) is difficult on a used saw because the previous filer(s) have usually sloped the tooth back from vertical and you can't put the metal back on. Also, the Flinn Garlick saws I've filed have had fat center teeth and steeply sloped outside teeth which would be left weak if double beveled.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY