Intro to the site and how to get your account activated
frizzen
PostsCOLON 14
JoinedCOLON February 17th, 2021, 11:15 am
LocationCOLON Indiana

Maybe 'Saw Acquisition Disorder' is a thing

Post by frizzen » March 2nd, 2021, 8:56 am

Hey, I'm a noob.
I'm trying to get into crosscut saws due to many large old residential trees, and probably doing some trail clearing for hiking/mountain bikes. Plus i like tools, and old stuff.

This fall I had a 48"x56" at base silver maple decide to dump a limb ON the neighbors house, got the rest of it dropped, and i started cleanup. My husqvarna saw would only swing 18" bar. Got digging around and restarted an old Homelite of grandpas that could swing 22" bar. Had a buddy come over with some bigger (motorized) saws to help buck the rest of trunk to firewood size.

I wish we'd had the space to store more of Grandpa's tools back when we were clearing out grandmas house. I know there were several 2-man crosscuts, a huge filing bench, bunch of accessory stuff we couldn't identify, a 2-man chainsaw... (the history and knowlege of all that went with him when i was about 3.) Not sure what happened to it all the saw stuff, but think my aunt sold most of them off through some antique place.

Anyway, rather than just mulch it all with a stump grinder i was trying to come up with a way to make some BIG cookies off the tree to turn into some tables. So over the winter i started to hit up antique stores and some of the local selling sites.
Found a d-handle 3' champion tooth with busted handle, it need sharpened so then i had to find a jointer.
Found a pretty badly Rust pitted 1man 4.5' champion tooth for practice
Picked up a decent 1man 4.5' champion tooth with a good handle, and couple limbing saws
Picked up a decent 1man 4.5' perferated lance with busted handle and a frozen helper handle

These should keep busy for a while. Been reading and watching a lot of videos. Meanwhile i havent actually made dust or noodles yet.

Be careful with these saws, apparently they want to have friends?
Let's go cut some happy little trees over here. Then we'll plant two, because everybody needs a friend.

Trailsawyer
PostsCOLON 98
JoinedCOLON July 1st, 2012, 7:27 am
LocationCOLON SW Washington State

Re: Maybe 'Saw Acquisition Disorder' is a thing

Post by Trailsawyer » March 2nd, 2021, 12:43 pm

You could easily have a dozen saws by the 4th of July!
Keep an eye out for two man saws, handles, and sharpening tools....
Happy hunting!
Gary

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 717
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » March 3rd, 2021, 5:23 am

Once you have the tools, you can "make" any saw you want. I do a lot of single bucking and find that big stiff western saws like 503s or 520s really excel at big cuts. I'll shorten a 7-footer, make a D handle for it, and create a "Frankensaw". They will cut better than any production one man saw and are punched to take a full size handle for when you find that second sawyer.

fullsizeoutput_1afd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1afe.jpeg

frizzen
PostsCOLON 14
LocationCOLON Indiana

Post by frizzen » March 5th, 2021, 10:35 am

If a guy were motivated, i'm sure the dozen saw mark by then wouldn't be that difficult. It looks like in my area Handles really seem to evaporate, and i haven't had much luck with many other accessories yet.

Those are some wild looking saws! That beast of a D-handle is beefy enough that way it almost looks like a drag-saw blade.

It's interesting this saw user community doesn't seem to have a hard line about straight Preservation, vs making it the best possible tool to Do Work for your application. So many other groups act like you either do this way on you're wrong. I'm kinda suprised at how much room in Saw Collecting there seems to be for the 'art people', the 'antique people', the 'Cracker Barrel people', the 'home users', the 'trail crews'.

Also pretty interesting that people seem *genuinely confused* that we're buying their old saw to try to put it back to work
Let's go cut some happy little trees over here. Then we'll plant two, because everybody needs a friend.

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 717
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » March 5th, 2021, 3:31 pm

It's a bit like NASCAR, take a stock saw and make it a real cutter. 7-foot saws get chopped up a lot because not many trail crews are cutting old growth or big trees, and they're heavy and unwieldy to carry.

More than once I've tried to dicker a restaurant owner out of his wall hanging (no luck yet).

frizzen
PostsCOLON 14
LocationCOLON Indiana

Post by frizzen » March 7th, 2021, 6:40 pm

Picture test.
The small saw is 3 feet, with a new maple handle i'm working linseed oil into.

Yeah, i know... sharpen more buy less.

Not sure who made the 2-man saws either. Eastern style handles are a little mismatched. One of the Atkins handles still has a model number in the wood.

I'm hoping to find some more Atkins saws, as it's the hometown hero. I'm also hoping to find out if any of their factory buildings remain, or if it was all knocked down when Rolls Royce got the property.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY