New to Sawing info needed

Intro to the site and how to get your account activated
peasantfields
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON April 28th, 2021, 3:10 pm

New to Sawing info needed

Post by peasantfields » November 15th, 2021, 1:20 pm

Hi there,

I just joined and and am looking for an alternitive to our chainsaw that dosen't use electricity. We live in Southern Alberta, and get all our wood delivered from the dump, so all the cut branches,trimming etc. So there is pine, poplar,birch,choke cherry, willow,larch,fir,spruce. We pull out all peices that are over 3-10 in diameter, and those need to get cut into 1ft long pieces.

So,is there a way to do this without a chainsaw and what would the best saw be?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 774
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Re: New to Sawing info needed

Post by Jim_Thode » November 15th, 2021, 3:30 pm

Welcome Peasantfields,

Yes there is a way to cut your wood without a chainsaw. It will take more time but still doable.

For the smaller diameter limbs a bow saw would work fine. I cut all my firewood by hand and for things less then about 4 to 5" I use a 42" bow saw. For all the larger logs up to about 3' diameter I use a 42" to 72" crosscut saws.

Sounds like you could also use a sawbuck. There are some different options but this is the one I use:
https://pbase.com/jimthode/sawbuck_crosscut_saw

Jim

peasantfields
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON April 28th, 2021, 3:10 pm

Re: New to Sawing info needed

Post by peasantfields » December 2nd, 2021, 8:06 pm

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info, we will start with a bow saw. What kind do you use and/or recommend? What about the Bacho ones?
Yes, I have seen the sawbucks and they make sense, we'll see what we get around to this season as its a good thing to do but the chainsaw is still the easiest go to option thus far.
Thanks

BUTTON_POST_REPLY