Bark removal

Intro to the site and how to get your account activated
Trilliumrock
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON December 10th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Bark removal

Post by Trilliumrock » March 24th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Hi everyone! I’m new. Is it common practice to remove the bark when making crosscut firewood? I understand that bark will dull a blade but it can take a lot of extra effort! I was wondering what you all are doing. Thanks
Attachments
3A00C440-0D09-4425-94BC-3F4BAF1A0386.jpeg

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 746
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Bark removal

Post by Jim_Thode » March 25th, 2020, 7:27 am

Trilliumrock,

Welcome to the group.

In actual practice I never remove the bark when cutting firewood unless I have some reason to believe the bark is contaminated with soil or any other abrasive thing. Clean bark by itself is not a problem. If I get dirt on the log by skidding it out of the woods or if dirt is kicked up from a root wad I'll remove the bark. Also if cutting older logs in the Pacific Northwest where the tree may have been covered with volcanic ash or even trees next to a dusty gravel road I'd be more likely to remove he bark.

Some of my firewood cutting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1xykGoOEzA and falling here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0uv7ZnCC6o.

Jim

Trilliumrock
PostsCOLON 4

Post by Trilliumrock » March 25th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Jim, I’m honored! Thanks for the reply. I would like to thank you and the other experts who frequently post your comments/experiences/wisdom on this site. Gave me a big boost when I was stuck and needed help!

Trailsawyer
PostsCOLON 91
JoinedCOLON July 1st, 2012, 7:27 am
LocationCOLON SW Washington State

Post by Trailsawyer » March 25th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Nice looking saw, and it looks like it is cutting well!
Gary

Trilliumrock
PostsCOLON 4

Post by Trilliumrock » March 26th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Hi Gary. It’s a 6 ft Simonds 520. How on earth could you tell the saw is cutting well from the picture? Bob

sumnergeo
PostsCOLON 305
JoinedCOLON February 22nd, 2011, 12:31 pm
LocationCOLON Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Minneapolis

Post by sumnergeo » March 28th, 2020, 10:26 am

Lotsa nice looking noodles on the snow... That's one way to know it is cutting well.

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 690
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » March 29th, 2020, 5:01 pm

I only use mine for trail work. Trees that have been down a while have had a lot of muddy boots climbing over them, not to mention dirt weathering out of the rootballs if cutting close to the stump. Those I debark.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY