Bark removal

Intro to the site and how to get your account activated
Trilliumrock
PostsCOLON 11
JoinedCOLON December 10th, 2019, 7:42 pm

Bark removal

Post by Trilliumrock » March 24th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Hi everyone! I’m new. Is it common practice to remove the bark when making crosscut firewood? I understand that bark will dull a blade but it can take a lot of extra effort! I was wondering what you all are doing. Thanks
Attachments
3A00C440-0D09-4425-94BC-3F4BAF1A0386.jpeg

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 757
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Bark removal

Post by Jim_Thode » March 25th, 2020, 7:27 am

Trilliumrock,

Welcome to the group.

In actual practice I never remove the bark when cutting firewood unless I have some reason to believe the bark is contaminated with soil or any other abrasive thing. Clean bark by itself is not a problem. If I get dirt on the log by skidding it out of the woods or if dirt is kicked up from a root wad I'll remove the bark. Also if cutting older logs in the Pacific Northwest where the tree may have been covered with volcanic ash or even trees next to a dusty gravel road I'd be more likely to remove he bark.

Some of my firewood cutting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1xykGoOEzA and falling here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0uv7ZnCC6o.

Jim

Trilliumrock
PostsCOLON 11

Post by Trilliumrock » March 25th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Jim, I’m honored! Thanks for the reply. I would like to thank you and the other experts who frequently post your comments/experiences/wisdom on this site. Gave me a big boost when I was stuck and needed help!

Trailsawyer
PostsCOLON 92
JoinedCOLON July 1st, 2012, 7:27 am
LocationCOLON SW Washington State

Post by Trailsawyer » March 25th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Nice looking saw, and it looks like it is cutting well!
Gary

Trilliumrock
PostsCOLON 11

Post by Trilliumrock » March 26th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Hi Gary. It’s a 6 ft Simonds 520. How on earth could you tell the saw is cutting well from the picture? Bob

sumnergeo
PostsCOLON 307
JoinedCOLON February 22nd, 2011, 12:31 pm
LocationCOLON Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Minneapolis

Post by sumnergeo » March 28th, 2020, 10:26 am

Lotsa nice looking noodles on the snow... That's one way to know it is cutting well.

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 697
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » March 29th, 2020, 5:01 pm

I only use mine for trail work. Trees that have been down a while have had a lot of muddy boots climbing over them, not to mention dirt weathering out of the rootballs if cutting close to the stump. Those I debark.

Trilliumrock
PostsCOLON 11

Post by Trilliumrock » April 1st, 2020, 8:21 pm

Hi PATCsawyer. The information online supports always removing the bark. The opinion from those in the trenches is remove the bark only if there is visible dirt or something that may dull a saw. Makes sense. Thanks! Bob

sandersdwa
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON January 11th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Post by sandersdwa » April 2nd, 2020, 11:49 am

"We" always remove the bark but "we" also sharpen our own saws. There are groups out there that don't have to sharpen their own saws and therefore don't "feel the pain" of shortening the life of a saw. Carry a saw into the wilderness 18 miles and for many days you'll not want your saw dull on any part of the trip. Dull your saw that far into the wilderness once and you will never do it again.

There are other reasons for removing the bark. Check for soundness of the log? Cracks and splits before cutting? Ability to better watch the kerf and watch for cracks and splits while cutting, just to mention a few.

However, most of this would not be an issue for firewood cutting.

Trilliumrock
PostsCOLON 11

Post by Trilliumrock » April 5th, 2020, 7:45 pm

Hi sandersdwa. When you are 18 miles from support you are that much more dependent on your equipment. A dull saw would be a disaster. Being able to closely monitor the kerf and early detection of problem spots in the log are great points. There are definitely situations where taking the extra effort to remove the bark is necessary. Thank you!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY