Need a axe handle? Here is a wonderful company!

Discussions about other types of tools, logging history, trail maintenance, etc.
dayle1960
PostsCOLON 126
JoinedCOLON July 31st, 2014, 11:33 am
LocationCOLON Bella Vista Arkansas

Need a axe handle? Here is a wonderful company!

Post by dayle1960 » January 28th, 2020, 3:48 am

I live in Southwest Missouri and am a big fan of this Crosscutsawyer.com. I've bought a few axes at flea markets which need replacement handles and have been disappointed with what I've seen on the interwebs. So when I came across a handle maker within 45 miles of where I live, I jumped at the chance to go and see the factory.

https://househandle.com/ This is a small company in Cassville Missouri located about a mile west of the city limits on Hwy 86, Non-descript blue building with piles of sawdust behind the building. I walked into the office and a nice lady was behind the desk and I asked if I could purchase axe handles from them. She said just walk back into the warehouse and a fellow would help me. When I got into the warehouse I was staring at bunks of different types of axe handles. Probably twenty bunks full of finished axe handles. Very impressive sight. The gentleman who helped me asked what I needed. I said i needed a picaroon handle and a broad axe handle. He didn't know what type of handle would fit the picaroon so he offered up a "boy's sized axe handle" which had a nice length and an offset broad axe handle. He then took both handles to his work station and added a few metal wedges to the order along with a couple of wooden wedges.

I should have taken a video of the warehouse, but I didn't think about it. If you guys need a axe handle or a hammer handle, check out this company. Might be the ticket to a better woodland experience.

Now I just want ya'll to know that I'm not shilling for this company. I have no vested interest or even know anybody who works there. I'm just an average Joe who likes to explore and investigate things and when this company popped onto my radar I wanted to see what it was. I was pleasantly surprised at the nice folks, the hard work ethic I saw, and great customer service. I'm just wanting to let folks know about a source for their axe handles if the need arises.

Thanks for your time
Terry

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 755
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Need a axe handle? Here is a wonderful company!

Post by Jim_Thode » January 28th, 2020, 6:52 am

Too bad they don't show any 42" double bit handles. Those are kind of hard to find.

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 693
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » January 30th, 2020, 5:39 am

I've used House handles for years. Always best to pay a little extra for the hand-select wood. Because of the shipping charge and the number of handles need, I never buy less than a dozen at a time.

Jim -- I got a long DB handle for my Puget Sound from Larry Harris at the Axe Hole. It had enough stock to shave it into an octagonal.

Gooch
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON May 21st, 2014, 8:45 pm

Post by Gooch » April 23rd, 2020, 1:48 am

Agree! I found House handles a few years ago. That's the only place I use now. I'm with a trails group that works with many volunteers, so pulaski and axe handles take a beating and i need to replace 6-8 a season (no reflection on House). Went through nearly twice that many with other brands - Snow & Nealy comes to mind as particularly fragile. Importantly, House seems to get them drier than most, which is a big deal in the Alpine desert conditions of Idaho. Once hung, they stay tight. Others with higher moisture content seem tight at first, but then it seems keep drying out, so that after just a couple weeks, they shrink and get loose. This is a consistent problem with all except the House handles. Also agree with PATC... spending the extra couple bucks for hand-selected for grain alignment is worth every penny.

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 755
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Jim_Thode » April 23rd, 2020, 8:00 am

No matter what you do, drying and shrinking of wood handles can be a problem with different environmental conditions. Different seasons of the year and different locations can cause problems. My reliable solution is to treat the handle in the eye with something that will swell the wood and will not dry out. I use anti-freeze (ethylene glycol) but Swel-Lock (dipropylene glycol) can also be used.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY