Keystone Saw Mfg. Co.

Topics should be types of Disston saws, and posts are related to those saws
Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
JoinedCOLON November 22nd, 2011, 7:09 am
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Keystone Saw Mfg. Co.

Post by Treeline » January 24th, 2014, 7:33 pm

I have 3 of these Keystone saws right now. A 3 ft, and two 4.5 ft. Keystone Saw Mfg. Co. was affiliated with Disston, but older than the Disston Keystone saws (?). This particular saw is a 54 incher and was heavily rusted. I didn't see the etch until I was cleaning, but it showed up nicely and there was almost no rust pitting. It has all of it's teeth and rakers, but they were filed way down to the knubs. I spent a great deal of time filing out all the gullets and giving myself some room to get a file in between these tiny cutters and rakers (25 rakers, 59 cutters!). It had it's original handle and no cracks. It cleaned up really well, filed nicely and cuts great now.

Here's some pics of the blade and teeth before I started.

After cleaning, the etch showed up.

Getting some love in the vice.

All tuned up and ready to cut. I sanded and oiled the handle and cleaned the hardware too.

Detail of the newly created gullets and reshaped teeth/rakers. ( I like that afternoon sun on the Ponderosa under the saw. :) )

Last edited by 2 on Treeline, edited 0 times in total.

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Re: Keystone Saw Mfg. Co.

Post by Treeline » January 24th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Etch, cutters, rakers again. All kind of small.

Beautiful wood on the handle I thought. (and no cracks!)

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 709
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » January 25th, 2014, 10:14 am

Nice job. I filed one just like that for my trail club, 4.5 must have been a popular length. It had a real dark patina but no pitting, and once cleaned up, the blade was smooth. All those little teeth make for easy starting and are less likely to catch.

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Post by Treeline » January 25th, 2014, 4:13 pm

PATCsawyer wroteCOLONNice job. I filed one just like that for my trail club, 4.5 must have been a popular length. It had a real dark patina but no pitting, and once cleaned up, the blade was smooth. All those little teeth make for easy starting and are less likely to catch.

Thanks. Yeah, it is a pretty smooth running saw. I like the heft of the 54" blade too. Even after deepening the gullets, they are still relatively tiny, so no nice big long shavings like a lance tooth might produce.

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508
JoinedCOLON April 20th, 2011, 8:24 am
LocationCOLON Northern Virginia

Post by goodfeller » January 29th, 2014, 6:54 am

I have a couple of 4.5 and 3 ft Keystones I keep meaning to get to. You give me something to aim at. Disston started the Keystone line in the late 1800s--1890s if I recall correctly. The line was intended to provide a lower cost saw for farmers, homeowners and others who did not need Disston's top of the line quality--or price. Thus the smaller, easier to use tooth patterns. The line was also an attempt to beat back competition from other manufacturers like Bishop, Ohlen, etc. and protect patents. But to say Keystones were second rate is really selling them short. Compared to what? They were/are good saws as seen in Disston's readiness to have its keystone emblem on the medallion. The medallion in the photo suggests this saw was probably made between 1900 to 1930. The early Keystones did not have the Disston keystone on the medallion--just said Warranted Superior. And in 1930 Disston updated the entire Keystone line, including medallions. The handsaws at that time went to painted handles.

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Post by Treeline » January 29th, 2014, 7:53 am

goodfeller wroteCOLONI have a couple of 4.5 and 3 ft Keystones I keep meaning to get to. You give me something to aim at. Disston started the Keystone line in the late 1800s--1890s if I recall correctly. The line was intended to provide a lower cost saw for farmers, homeowners and others who did not need Disston's top of the line quality--or price. Thus the smaller, easier to use tooth patterns. The line was also an attempt to beat back competition from other manufacturers like Bishop, Ohlen, etc. and protect patents. But to say Keystones were second rate is really selling them short. Compared to what? They were/are good saws as seen in Disston's readiness to have its keystone emblem on the medallion. The medallion in the photo suggests this saw was probably made between 1900 to 1930. The early Keystones did not have the Disston keystone on the medallion--just said Warranted Superior. And in 1930 Disston updated the entire Keystone line, including medallions. The handsaws at that time went to painted handles.

Thanks for the historical details! :)

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508

Post by goodfeller » February 3rd, 2014, 6:58 am

Treeline-

Do the rakers continue to the toe of the saw or do you have half a dozen or so common teeth? I can't tell from the photos. If it is the former, that is most likely a Keystone K-954; if the latter, it is probably a 554 or an old No. 2.

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Post by Treeline » February 3rd, 2014, 6:53 pm

goodfeller wroteCOLONTreeline-

Do the rakers continue to the toe of the saw or do you have half a dozen or so common teeth? I can't tell from the photos. If it is the former, that is most likely a Keystone K-954; if the latter, it is probably a 554 or an old No. 2.
11.5 teeth at the end. I just rounded off the 1/2 tooth since it just seemed likely to catch. Here's a better pic:

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508

Post by goodfeller » February 5th, 2014, 6:35 am

OK, from that picture and your earlier ones of the etching and medallion, I am pretty sure that is a Keystone No. 2. Etching is very interesting in that it does not have the Disston keystone but the cross with the D. As I said earlier, Keystone changed their numbering system around 1930; at that time the old No. 2 became the K-554. Design did not change much; from the start is was a lower priced version of the Disston 554. Keystone continued to make the 554 until it and Disston were bought out in 1950. I'm now thinking yours was made no later than 1929, probably around WWI, give or take a few years. But as always, I could be wrong.

logscaler78
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON April 26th, 2014, 6:32 pm
LocationCOLON Richfield, Utah

Post by logscaler78 » May 20th, 2014, 8:56 pm

Beautiful job. I have a felling saw, whose teeth look very much like yours did before you started. What tool did you use to deepen the notch between the cutter teeth? Thank you.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY