Disston Suwanee

Topics should be types of Disston saws, and posts are related to those saws
Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
JoinedCOLON November 22nd, 2011, 7:09 am
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Disston Suwanee

Post by Treeline » April 9th, 2013, 8:07 am

I don't think one of these has been posted before. It's 5.5 foot Disston Suwanee perforated lance tooth. This is a really nice saw and I had not had the chance to try one before, but I'm on the look out for another. It cuts nice and the steel was nice too. It was in pretty poor shape when I got it, but at least it was fairly clean and no missing teeth. There was a big bend in the blade that I was able to hammer out. The teeth were really asymmetrically filed and all different lengths. The rakers were terrible too. Took a lot of filing but it had pretty long teeth and has a lot of life left. it has a long row of cutters on each Eastern style end and a single "short" raker. This saw also has quite a bit of crescent grind to it and the guage at the cutters is nice and thick, which I haven't seen on many comparable sized perf lance saws.

Sorry, no before pics, but here is the finished saw, ready for some trail work again:

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 765
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Disston Suwanee

Post by Jim_Thode » April 9th, 2013, 8:45 am

Looks like a nice saw. Do you have a way to measure the blade thickness at the teeth and back near the center of the saw?
Jim

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Post by Treeline » April 9th, 2013, 10:03 am

Jim_Thode wroteCOLONLooks like a nice saw. Do you have a way to measure the blade thickness at the teeth and back near the center of the saw?
Jim
Thanks, Jim. I need to get a good micrometer. ;)

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Post by Treeline » April 9th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Here's a detail of the business end to give you an idea of the thickness:

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 765
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Jim_Thode » April 9th, 2013, 7:29 pm

It looks like quite a thick saw. The basic idea of a perforated lance tooth is that the "braces" provide some support to compensate for thinner cutter teeth. That does not look like the case with this saw. It looks like it would be plenty thick and stiff enough so that the braces would not be required.
Jim

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Post by Treeline » April 10th, 2013, 7:21 am

Yeah, it's not quite as thick as a Simonds 503 or Disston 7-11, but close. It states 6 guages of taper, vs the 4 guages of taper on some of the other DIsstons. If I get a micrometer, I'll add some more specs for the saws I've added to the database, if I still have them.

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508
JoinedCOLON April 20th, 2011, 8:24 am
LocationCOLON Northern Virginia

Post by goodfeller » April 11th, 2013, 7:35 am

Nice saw. Nice thick saw. No surprise. In their circa 1918 ads, Disston listed the Suwanee as one of their top of the line models. I found a pretty good digital micrometer on eBay a while back for around $15, free shipping. Reached me in less than a week.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY