Disston No. 554 Champion (s)

Topics should be types of Disston saws, and posts are related to those saws
Double Ott
PostsCOLON 143
JoinedCOLON April 21st, 2012, 2:28 pm
LocationCOLON N Central WI and U.P. MI.

Disston No. 554 Champion (s)

Post by Double Ott » March 18th, 2013, 7:55 am

A pair of Disston No. 554 Champion saws. Both are a champion tooth design. Sometimes called a tuttle tooth design.

Top 554 has a 36 inch blade. 42 inches OAL. 3 lbs. 15 oz. w/ helper handle.
Bottom 554 has a 48 inch blade. 54 inches OAL. 6 Lbs. 5 oz. w/ helper handle.
Disston 554 one man saws 013.JPG
Faint etch on the 36" 554. Hard to capture with the camera.
Disston 554 one man saws 018.JPG
Etch on the 48" 554. This one needs a little more TLC to clean her up.
Disston 554 one man saws 002.JPG
Disston 554 one man saws 020.JPG
The 48 inch 554.
Disston 554 one man saws 006.JPG
Click pictures for a larger view

Double Ott
Last edited by 2 on Double Ott, edited 0 times in total.
Double Ott aka, Tom

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508
JoinedCOLON April 20th, 2011, 8:24 am
LocationCOLON Northern Virginia

Re: Disston No. 554 Champion (s)

Post by goodfeller » March 18th, 2013, 11:11 am

Nice saws! I'm working on a 36" Disston plain tooth right now--just took it out of the electrolysis tank.

SalmonCreek
PostsCOLON 227
JoinedCOLON December 22nd, 2011, 10:00 am
LocationCOLON Oakridge, Oregon

Post by SalmonCreek » March 18th, 2013, 11:41 am

Nice looking saws Double Ott!

Not sure mine are 554's, but I have 2 champion tooth Disston saws very similar to yours. I will check to see if I can make out any numbers on them. The first one, I've had for years, and use it around the property bucking up smaller dead oak and madrone. Few months ago, a trail partner handed me a saw, told me it was basically a junker, but the handle was still good. I looked at it, and thought, this is the same as one I have, and I love it! He told me to keep it anyway, which I gladly did.

Mike

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508

Post by goodfeller » March 19th, 2013, 5:03 am

Wait. First you guys out there are finding Simonds at garage sales for $10 and now they are giving saws away??

SalmonCreek
PostsCOLON 227

Post by SalmonCreek » March 19th, 2013, 8:36 am

Some sawyers I know remind me of, when they get there first car, what a car it is! Then, after many cars later, they look down on that first car. Out here, so many I know, if it's not a perforated lance blah blah blah.... its not worth having. I think some of there thinking is status symbol, some of its ingrained stereotypes, mixed in with a few facts. In my mind, any saw can be a good saw for what its intended for.

Double Ott
PostsCOLON 143
JoinedCOLON April 21st, 2012, 2:28 pm
LocationCOLON N Central WI and U.P. MI.

Post by Double Ott » March 19th, 2013, 11:54 am

goodfeller wroteCOLONWait. First you guys out there are finding Simonds at garage sales for $10 and now they are giving saws away??
I always wait until later in the day to go to garage sales here in the north-woods of WI and the U.P. MI. That's when all the left over crosscuts and vintage logging tools are sold at half price, or less so they can get rid of them. Sometimes you can get em for the going price of scrap metal if your willing to haul all of them away. :mrgreen:

Tom
Double Ott aka, Tom

goodfeller
PostsCOLON 508

Post by goodfeller » March 19th, 2013, 12:58 pm

I give up. And my first car was 1958 Fiat 500 I bought for $30 when I still had hair. I drove one of the new ones recently in L.A. Both were fun.

trolleypup
PostsCOLON 231
JoinedCOLON March 18th, 2012, 10:11 pm
LocationCOLON San Francisco, CA, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Post by trolleypup » March 19th, 2013, 9:36 pm

SalmonCreek wroteCOLONSome sawyers I know remind me of, when they get there first car, what a car it is! Then, after many cars later, they look down on that first car. Out here, so many I know, if it's not a perforated lance blah blah blah.... its not worth having. I think some of there thinking is status symbol, some of its ingrained stereotypes, mixed in with a few facts. In my mind, any saw can be a good saw for what its intended for.
The right saw for the right job, eh?

I'll admit to preferring a lance or perf lance for the big stuff I cut, but I have a series of tuttle/champion tooth one man saws (including my ubiquitous pruning saws) that fill a niche in the working saw collection!

And my first two saws were a 3.5' Atkins 390 one man tuttle, and a ?Simonds? Canada perf champion 4.5' felling saw...they both go out regularly as needed.

...although, if I came across a 3.5' Simonds 223 (swaybacked p lance), I might move the 390 to an "honored display" position.

SalmonCreek
PostsCOLON 227

Post by SalmonCreek » March 20th, 2013, 5:33 am

Goodfeller, you have me beat, my first car was '61 Studebaker Champ pickup. Kinda wish I still had it..........

Trolleypup, I agree, lance tooth is my first choice when going out on the trail, with bigger logs, or not knowing what me might come across. I to like champion tooth one man saws for the trail, good for smaller logs, hardwoods, and volunteers just becoming acquainted with saws.

trailcrew
PostsCOLON 370
JoinedCOLON February 16th, 2011, 9:47 am
LocationCOLON Asheville, NC

Post by trailcrew » March 20th, 2013, 6:26 am

For those of you looking to unload those pesky champion tooth saws weighing down your collection, my address is ......
Josh

BUTTON_POST_REPLY