Disston Keystone K 140

Topics should be types of Disston saws, and posts are related to those saws
Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
JoinedCOLON November 22nd, 2011, 7:09 am
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Disston Keystone K 140

Post by Treeline » December 23rd, 2011, 1:17 pm

Here's a Disston Keystone K 140 Perforated Lance tooth bucking saw. It's 5' long. I don't believe this has ever been sharpened or used. I plan to clean it, sharpen it, and use it. I'll post up more photos once I've tried it out.

SalmonCreek
PostsCOLON 227
JoinedCOLON December 22nd, 2011, 10:00 am
LocationCOLON Oakridge, Oregon

Re: Disston Keystone K 140

Post by SalmonCreek » July 3rd, 2012, 7:43 am

Good looking saw, and good length. I also like how the rakers are shaped on the inside.

benjaminkansas
PostsCOLON 61
JoinedCOLON April 28th, 2012, 5:12 pm
LocationCOLON S.E. Kansas

Post by benjaminkansas » July 3rd, 2012, 11:01 am

Nice saw Treeline.Do you remove alot of the metal on the inside of the rakers shaped like that to get them to swage?I am filing a holow back felling saw perforated lance with rakers shaped like those.I tried to swage them as is.they wouldnt budge.I ended up filing a v with a slim tapered file.Still they wouldnt swage so I started filing the inside into a v before I could get them to swage.Do they swage well for you as is?Brother Benjamin.

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Post by Treeline » October 6th, 2012, 8:46 am

I haven't needed to do anything differently with this shape raker. They seem to swage pretty well. On really hard steel, I sometimes will use a mandrel and a heavier hammer to swage. This method a requires fewer strokes of the hammer, and there's less likelyhood of a misplaced stroke. ;)

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 765
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Jim_Thode » October 6th, 2012, 5:47 pm

Treeline,
Could you say or show exactly what kind of mandrel you use for swedging. Sounds like it would be a good idea to put some weight behind a tooth being swedged but it would be nice to see what you use.
Jim

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Post by Treeline » October 7th, 2012, 6:13 am

Hi Jim,
It's basically just a solid, tapered piece of hardened round stock about 5" long with flat faces on both ends. The "hammer" end is about 1" and the "swaging" end about 1/2". The extra heft and being able to hold it stationary and at the proper angle makes swaging ( for me ) a lot easier, especially on really stubborn rakers. I'll try to get some pics and post in the filing section.

Jim_Thode
PostsCOLON 765
JoinedCOLON June 28th, 2012, 9:34 am
LocationCOLON Onalaska, Washington State, USA
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Jim_Thode » October 7th, 2012, 6:16 pm

Thanks Treeline, that makes sense.
Jim

BUTTON_POST_REPLY