Topics should be types of Disston saws, and posts are related to those saws
Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 184
JoinedCOLON February 9th, 2011, 6:26 pm
LocationCOLON Northern California

Disston 514 D Handle Perforated Lance

Post by Crosscut Sawyer » February 23rd, 2011, 8:41 am

Here are photos of two different Disston 514's, my 54" saw, and a 36" saw that belongs to my employer.
Attachments
Disstons 004.JPG
54" Perforated Lance Disston 514
Disstons 005.JPG
36" Perforated Lance Disston 514
Disstons 007.JPG
Etching from the 36" saw. Unfortunately, the etch on my saw is only visible in good light.

chad
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON September 24th, 2011, 10:14 am

Re: Disston 514 D Handle Perforated Lance

Post by chad » September 25th, 2011, 8:29 am

I just found one of these today (see pics) and yours is the only 514 I have seen on the internet. Would like to know a little more about it.

It sure is a nice saw. Etching still is visible and the blade show no rust as it has been oiled over time. I would love to find out more about it. Is it rare to find one of these? Sure is a mean looking bugger!
Attachments
photo-1.JPG
photo-2.JPG
photo-3.JPG

Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin
PostsCOLON 184
JoinedCOLON February 9th, 2011, 6:26 pm
LocationCOLON Northern California

Post by Crosscut Sawyer » September 26th, 2011, 2:14 pm

Chad - welcome to the forum,

I think the 514 is a good secondary saw to carry for smaller timber, I like to carry my 54" version and a larger double buck like a Simonds 503 on most logouts. I can't really say how rare they are these days...most saws are rare, but I have seen at least 3 other 514's besides yours and mine. Again, I think it's a great all purpose saw, especially if the length is appropriate for what you are cutting. I prefer my 54" foot 514, as it has some heft behind it. The little 36" saw is pretty small, I think it relies more on your power than gravity, and really only does well in the smaller timber which I might be inclined to chop out anyway. However, every time I've carried it on the trail, it has proven to be worth its weight.

What size is the one you found? Looks like a 42" to me. Is it filed and set, and do you intend to use it in the woods?

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
JoinedCOLON November 22nd, 2011, 7:09 am
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Post by Treeline » November 10th, 2012, 6:28 am

Here's another 36" Disston 514 that I put a Western handle on:

Details of the tune up. It's a fairly light and thin saw, so I went really mild on swaging the rakers. They have a nice natural curve to them also:

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Post by Treeline » February 9th, 2013, 6:50 pm

I tuned up another 514 recently. I really like these saws, especially the longer length versions. This one is a 42". I used a Western handle for testing, but it has a nice D handle.

Trailsawyer
PostsCOLON 97
JoinedCOLON July 1st, 2012, 7:27 am
LocationCOLON SW Washington State

Post by Trailsawyer » February 10th, 2013, 8:24 am

Nice looking saws!
Treeline: Would you mind sharing the set and raker height that you used in tuning your saws? Nice work!
Gary

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Post by Treeline » February 10th, 2013, 9:05 am

Trailsawyer wroteCOLONNice looking saws!
Treeline: Would you mind sharing the set and raker height that you used in tuning your saws? Nice work!
Thanks. These two saws were set up for softwoods. the shavings/noodles in that last pick were from a big Poderosa Pine.

The specs for the 42" saw: swaged rakers, .010" and the teeth set to .012". I gave the cutters a slightly steep angle. This 42" saw has enough mass that it cut really smooth without having to bear down on it. That shorter 36" saw was also a little bit thinner and didn't have enough weight to cut easily without bearing down a little. I didn't take notes on the specs for that one, but I didn't swage the rakers as much and the height would have been in the .010 - .012" range. Also, since that saw was thinner, I didn't angle the teeth as aggressively.

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 709
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » February 10th, 2013, 12:39 pm

I didn't notice any hammer marks on your teeth. Do you wrest-in the set and back hone to spec?

Treeline
PostsCOLON 187
LocationCOLON Ames, IA

Post by Treeline » February 10th, 2013, 7:43 pm

PATCsawyer wroteCOLONI didn't notice any hammer marks on your teeth. Do you wrest-in the set and back hone to spec?
I usually set after jointing, before pointing up the teeth. The hammer marks get filed away. I've dinged freshly sharpened "neighbor" teeth a couple of times when setting at the end of operations. I always go back and double check the set after pointing up. Just a personal preferance as the order of steps goes.

PATCsawyer
PostsCOLON 709
JoinedCOLON February 19th, 2011, 5:27 am
LocationCOLON Northern Michigan

Post by PATCsawyer » February 11th, 2013, 8:55 am

Nice. Makes for a clean looking tooth.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY