Re-saw a 5/4 oak board

Here by popular demand, a forum dedicated to rip saws. We're definitely going against the grain with this one!

Re-saw a 5/4 oak board

Postby dayle1960 » December 16th, 2017, 3:16 pm

I'm thinking about resawing a 5/4 thickness, eight inch wide and a couple of feet long board so I can make a saw till out of the wood. I have a band saw which would accomplish this task in a few minutes, but I say what the heck and am willing to try an old fashioned way.

What I'd like to know is if I need to use a pit saw or can I use a cross cut saw to accomplish the resaw. I would imagine that using a cross cut saw wouldn't be the ideal way because of the tooth pattern. Just wanting some feed back from folks who have tried this approach and am wanting to find out their results. Is a cross cut saw capable of making this cut without wandering? Will it make the cut or will it just bog down in the kerf?

Thanks for any bones ya'll can throw my way.

Terry
dayle1960

Re: Re-saw a 5/4 oak board

Postby Jim_Thode » December 16th, 2017, 4:21 pm

In the day before power tools a carpenter would have made the cut with a rip cutting handsaw. A plain toothed, Great American or M tooth crosscut is not good for ripping. A peg and raker crosscut saw, especially with swaged rakers doesn't not do bad at ripping. I've seen people cutting logs to lumber with a peg and raker crosscut saw.

Here is a couple photos of a test I did comparing a M tooth and a peg and raker ripping a green alder at: http://www.pbase.com/jimthode/tuatahi_m_tooth

Oak, especially dry oak would be a quite a bit harder and slower.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby sumnergeo » December 17th, 2017, 3:31 pm

Saws for dimension lumber are different than saws for timber. I have D-8 panel saws that I file differently for crosscut and rip. They are about two-feet long. The rip teeth look like little chisels and the crosscut teeth are pointy to sever the fibers. You probably know all this.

I have used the timber saws to cut dimension stock and it works okay except I have to use a really small angle of approach - 10 or 15 degrees. That keeps enough teeth in the wood to make things work. If you can get things stable and use all of a 3 1/2 foot saw to make the cut, it is faster than a panel saw.
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby dayle1960 » December 18th, 2017, 3:46 am

Thanks for the replies. Yea, I do have a D-8 and I should go and sharpen it and use it. I just figured that a 4' crosscut saw might cut the oak a wee bit quicker than manning though it with a D-8. I have two boards and if I were any kind of scientist I'd probably do a comparison betwixt the D-8 and the crosscut saw.

On a side note I've noticed that this site has been quiet for a while. I wonder if it's because most of the loggers live in the Northwest and winter has set in or other reasons.

Once again, thanks for the answers to my query.
dayle1960

Postby Jim_Thode » December 21st, 2017, 9:32 pm

[quote="dayle1960"On a side note I've noticed that this site has been quiet for a while. I wonder if it's because most of the loggers live in the Northwest and winter has set in or other reasons.
[/quote]

Yes it has been quiet and some folks have seemed to move to some crosscut saw Facebook sites. Facebook may get more exposure and there has been some good discussions there however it is too bad that most of the information on Facebook is here today and gone tomorrow. Unlike this site it is not possible to search past discussions and posts for useful information on Facebook.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby sandersdwa » December 22nd, 2017, 6:03 pm

Like ;)

and agree so lets keep this site active.
sandersdwa

Postby King Karri Tree » December 24th, 2017, 11:31 pm

Agree 100% Jim.

Would be lost without the knowledge that comes from the posts on here.
King Karri Tree

Return to Rip Saws