New Guy

Intro to the site and how to get your account activated

New Guy

Postby Tumult » May 21st, 2017, 11:46 am

Hello,

Got into this looking for a less loud alternative to my Stihls. Have about 50 acres of woodlot spread around a couple locations and have done a good amount of felling ("Game of Logging" instructed). ( I will say it's hard to do plunge cut felling with a crosscut saw) ;)

At the moment have a 3' Simmons (not Simonds) 3' one man, a 4' Hibbard, Spencer,Bartlett one man that I need to make a handle for, and a 6' Disston Keystone felling saw with western handles. The HSB was a major project as someone in the past cut the cutters down so far that the rakers were 1/4" ABOVE the cutters so a lot of gumming was involved.

As for the user name...a good book to read..Tumult on the Mountains. About logging in WV in late 19th century, amazing what they cut. I have found logging iron in my woods.

Davis, WV
Tumult

Re: New Guy

Postby King Karri Tree » May 22nd, 2017, 12:44 am

Welcome to the site mate and there are guys here from all over the world who are only to willing to help with any question and show guidance
if you ask for it.

King Karri Tree
Western Australia
King Karri Tree

Postby Jim_Thode » May 22nd, 2017, 9:09 am

Welcome Tumult. I agree that not being able to plunge cut with a crosscut saw is a small disadvantage. However you have to remember that all logging was done before about 1945-50 without chainsaws and the job got done.

If you have not seen my crosscut falling video, check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0uv7ZnCC6o

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby PATCsawyer » June 3rd, 2017, 12:19 pm

It's possible to bore cut with a crosscut saw, but you need a good running start...........
PATCsawyer

Return to Welcome! New users, start here!