Long (6' plus) felling saw

Any items you want to buy or sell, and any related services you provide.

Long (6' plus) felling saw

Postby brianthehurdler » June 11th, 2016, 8:54 am

I've been looking for a really nice felling saw over here for a long time, but with no success. There are plenty of simple peg or crown toothed saws around, but don't seem to be any/many raker toothed saws.
I have a very nice 5' perforate lance tooth saw by Slack and Sellars of Sheffield, but at 5' long it's a little short for some of the bigger oaks that I occasionally fell.
So I'm wondering if any of you guys might have a good, 6' or 6' 6" saw that you'd be happy to part with? I'm happy to pay proper money for the right saw.
I don't mind whether the configuration is two or four toothed but I would like a taper ground blade. I'm very happy to do the necessary restoration/sharpening work, but I do want a basically sound blade without any significant pitting.
If anyone is able to help me I'd be very pleased to get a PM from you.
Cheers, Brian.
brianthehurdler

Re: Long (6' plus) felling saw

Postby brianthehurdler » June 14th, 2016, 11:23 pm

Just a clarification on this - although I'm after a saw for felling, it needn't be a felling saw! I'd be equally happy with a bucking saw of similar length.

I don't have to carry it into the woods any distance so weight is not a problem and I'm felling reasonably large trees, so getting wedges in won't be a problem.

And I'm assuming that it would be coming from the States and I'm happy to pay the postage.

Brian.
brianthehurdler

Postby Gavin Longrain » June 14th, 2016, 11:32 pm

brianthehurdler wrote: getting wedges in won't be a problem.

Brian,
The wider the saw, the less space you have to get the wedge in. Have you tried felling with a peg-tooth bucking or GA tooth bucking saw? I only fell small diameter up to 18" by hand and I did wish I had a 6" wide saw as that would have given room for wedges. I suspect you may wish you had a ribbon or felling saw - esp if you have imported from USA.
Gavin Longrain

Postby brianthehurdler » June 14th, 2016, 11:39 pm

No, I'm looking to fell oaks up to around 3' diameter (hence the need for a longer saw). The blade will be well into the kerf before I need to put a wedge in.

If I was felling smaller butts where wedging might be an issue I'd use my 5' saw.

Brian.
brianthehurdler

Return to Classified, For Sale, Wanted