Wanted = Plans for Hand Crank Sandstone horse

Any items you want to buy or sell, and any related services you provide.

Wanted = Plans for Hand Crank Sandstone horse

Postby King Karri Tree » June 9th, 2016, 4:28 am

Hi All

Would anyone have a plan of measurements for a hand crank sandstone horse???????? similar to the one in the photo.

I would like to build one from scratch to place with my axe collection.

Thanks
Attachments
Hand Crank sandstone.jpg
King Karri Tree

Re: Wanted = Plans for Hand Crank Sandstone horse

Postby dayle1960 » June 9th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Are you mechanically inclined to build such a device? If yes, then all you really need is your own body's measurements. Think about this.....You will build this grinder to fit your personal size. If you are 5' 4" then you will need to build it smaller than if you are 6' 8" tall.

Are you going to use a hand crank or a pedal crank? I'd prefer a pedal crank because that will leave both hands available to wrestle with the axe.

Just sit in a comfortable height chair, measure from the floor to the top of the chair seat, and that should be the distance that is the most important. Once you get that measurement then just copy what you see in the pic you provided. The length of the stone rest can be any length which you decide.

Remember, most of the grinding wheels where a "one off" build. Plans are not important, only your ability to fab something out of two by fours or dimentional lumber of a top shelf species (cocobolo, oak, walnut,...).
dayle1960

Postby King Karri Tree » June 9th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Thanks for the info and I understand now....I am 6'6" so will use your advice and do it from scratch and now work on a foot powered device.

I wasn't going to use it and have it just for display but I know what will happen.
King Karri Tree

Postby Gavin Longrain » June 9th, 2016, 10:12 pm

For diplay, you don't want the water bath.
For use, you must have water bath. This interferes with visual appeal of the grinder.
If you do have water bath, make sure you design room for that in your initial drawings or construction.

Also: remember to put a bung and ideally a well in the bottom of any waterbath. I wish I'd put a well in mine because the threads of my tap protrude above the bottom of the waterbath. This means I always have approx 2" water in my bath.
Gavin Longrain

Postby King Karri Tree » June 10th, 2016, 5:13 am

Beautiful and this is the info I am after....I have seen stones that have been left in water and they are out of round as they go soft.

I am still working on which way to go as in just a display or an operating wheel...Here in OZ have seen them used with a gallon can hanging over the stone dripping water and it looked really rustic.

More re search and thanks for your help.
King Karri Tree

Postby King Karri Tree » September 15th, 2016, 4:01 pm

Whetstone and Frame1.JPG
Have been busy in the shed and finally built a frame for my newly obtained whetstone.

The main part of the frame is built from old growth Jarrah (approx 80 years old) that was reclaimed from a house demolition and the bottom cross braces from regrowth Jarrah (approx 25 years old) hence the different colour.

I spalayed the legs out and back at 13 degrees and the main frame end pieces are dowelled and thru bolted so it will not come apart.

The crank bearings were salvaged from a 1920's seed cleaning machine that had been left on a farm to rot away.

Due to the weight of the device I had to build a small frame and put castor wheels on so I can move it about my shed.. The whetstone frame just sits in the wheelie base.

In time I'll build a water trough and the job is done...I was not intending to use it and it just forms part of my axe collection and timber related tools.
Attachments
Whetstone and Frame2.JPG
Whetstone and Frame3.JPG
Whetstone and Frame4.JPG
Whetstone and Frame5.JPG
King Karri Tree

Postby Trailsawyer » September 15th, 2016, 7:27 pm

Looks very nice!
I'm sure it will be a nice addition to your collection display.
Gary
Trailsawyer

Return to Classified, For Sale, Wanted