Looking for a springboard (toe) Please help!

Any items you want to buy or sell, and any related services you provide.

Looking for a springboard (toe) Please help!

Postby Double Ott » March 4th, 2016, 11:04 am

Gentlemen & Ladies, I'm looking for one or two springboards. I just need the actual steel toe piece. I have searched the internet for hours with no luck.

I know that they show up on Ebay once and a while. But there isn't any listed there now. Please let me know what you have for trade or for sale.

My regards, Tom

P.S. If you have any instructions about how to make a springboard metal toe, that maybe an option for me. But a last option LOL.

Double Ott aka, Tom
Double Ott

Re: Looking for a springboard (toe) Please help!

Postby PATCsawyer » March 4th, 2016, 12:27 pm

PATCsawyer

Postby Double Ott » March 4th, 2016, 12:44 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. I did see that they had a picture of one on their site. But I couldn't find one for sale. I have just sent Larry Harris an email inquiry to see if they can help me out.

Thank you again for the suggestion.

My regards, Tom
Double Ott aka, Tom
Double Ott

Postby Jim_Thode » March 4th, 2016, 6:30 pm

If you can't find one, they are quite easy to make. Here is a vintage one made out of a modified horseshoe.
P3040584a.jpg

And a modern one:
P3040603a.jpg
The dimensions are just approximate.

P3040589a.jpg
The hook can be formed but grinding a bevel off the back/bottom side then heating and hammering the point up.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Double Ott » March 5th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Jim, You are the man. I have a collection of horseshoes that have heavy calks on them. They were used when the teams had to skid heavy loads over dirt roads and trails that had been soaked with water to freeze hard in the winter months. The frozen trails were the only way that the heavy loads could make it over them.
I have three of them here and about 6 or 8 up at our camp, place in the U.P. MI. I think that several of them would be good candidates for a springboard. My wife has a Registered Quarter Horse that gets new shoes each year. She boards her horse named Bonnie with several others. There are always some shoes around. But these maybe a little light to forge into a springboard toe.

I also want to thank PATCsawyer for his suggestion to contact Larry Harris at the axe hole.com. Larry has returned my email with 4 different springboards. They range in price from $40.00 to $95.00, based on their design.

I also have to follow up on a lead from another member, King Karri Tree, who sent me a PM about a fellow he knows that makes them

What a great group we have here. Thanks to all of you for your help.

My regards, Tom
Double Ott aka, Tom
Double Ott

Postby PATCsawyer » March 5th, 2016, 6:58 pm

Be sure to post your picture standing on the springboard while swinging a Tuatahi.
PATCsawyer

Postby Double Ott » March 6th, 2016, 9:56 am

This heavy horseshoe might be a candidate for a springboard metal toe. It will need some work.

It is the bottom shoe. The top two have calks that are too sharp. I'll bet they worked well on frozen skidding trails.

Tom
Double Ott aka, Tom
Double Ott

Postby PATCsawyer » March 6th, 2016, 2:49 pm

Are those shoes from Michigan? I know the lumber companies would ice the roads to make it easier for horses to pull the sleds loaded with cut timber. Some of that history is on display at the Hartwick Pines CCC museum.
PATCsawyer

Postby Double Ott » March 8th, 2016, 3:19 pm

PATCsawyer wrote:Are those shoes from Michigan? I know the lumber companies would ice the roads to make it easier for horses to pull the sleds loaded with cut timber. Some of that history is on display at the Hartwick Pines CCC museum.

They came from either northern WI. or the U.P. MI. I can't find a picture right now, but a large water tank on carriage was pulled over the roads to soak the skidding roads. When this froze the trails could take the weight of the heavy logging sleds that were used. The horseshoes had the large calks on them to give the horses traction on the icy trails/roads. A slip and a fall onn the trail could cause a serious injury to valuable horse.

Tom
Double Ott aka, Tom
Double Ott

Postby Double Ott » March 8th, 2016, 3:50 pm

PATCsawyer wrote:Are those shoes from Michigan? I know the lumber companies would ice the roads to make it easier for horses to pull the sleds loaded with cut timber. Some of that history is on display at the Hartwick Pines CCC museum.

They came from either northern WI. or the U.P. MI. I can't find a picture right now, but a large water tank on carriage was pulled over the roads to soak the skidding roads. When this froze the trails could take the weight of the heavy logging sleds that were used. The horseshoes had the large calks on them to give the horses traction on the icy trails/roads. A slip and a fall onn the trail could cause a serious injury to valuable horse.

Tom

P.S. Heres a pair of shoes from U.P. MI.

[url][URL=http://s810.photobucket.com/user/doubleott/media/STS%20Series%20002%20640x425.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
Double Ott aka, Tom
Double Ott

Next

Return to Classified, For Sale, Wanted