WANTED Broken Teeth

Any items you want to buy or sell, and any related services you provide.

WANTED Broken Teeth

Postby trailcrew » March 20th, 2015, 6:49 am

Was setting a nice old Simonds p-lance bucking saw for a friend, some sentimental value, and busted a cutter off. After a lot of cursing, glove throwing, and self-shaming I noticed some corrosion on the break and can once again sleep at night, it wasn't totally my fault. Anyway, I want to try some of the welding tricks that nice folks have posted about but I looked through my shop and can't find any broken-off teeth to weld on. Does anyone have a few lance or p-lance teeth they could sell me? A cut-off hunk of saw perhaps? I can do paypal or send a check and am located in the Asheville, NC area.
Josh
trailcrew

Re: WANTED Broken Teeth

Postby moosecreektrails » March 20th, 2015, 7:43 am

PM sent
moosecreektrails

Postby trailcrew » March 21st, 2015, 3:06 am

Thanks so much for the response! I've got some busted teeth coming my way and should be able to get the saw up and running again.
Josh
trailcrew

Postby PATCsawyer » April 21st, 2015, 12:05 pm

P-lances are thinner than heavy bucking saws and could be more difficult to weld. I broke a tooth off one last winter at a spot weakened by a rust pit. I took it to a local welder and had him put it back on, but it broke off again the first time I tested it. Let us know how yours does.
PATCsawyer

Postby Starling_Saw » April 21st, 2015, 5:30 pm

I will leave a bridge in the cutters of the perf saws to strengthen it. Don't forget to pre-heat the saw steel directly adjoining the weld area, then a slow cool down immediately after the weld. Protect other teeth from over heating by covering. Grind smooth, then temper welded area.
John
Starling_Saw

Postby trailcrew » April 22nd, 2015, 3:52 am

Took the tooth and wire to a local welder (getting a rig of my own is still a few years off) and tried to pass on some instructions. He was game to do the job but insisted that heli-arc was the way to go using a straight feed of the tool steel wire John was kind enough to supply. I wouldn't call the results 'pretty', but after I retempered the tooth it seemed to file well and set readily. Passable for a first attempt. Not looking forward to breaking the next tooth, but I will enjoy improving the technique. Thanks to all for the help.
Also some good shots of hot swaged rakers. I spose the jury's still out on whether it's best practice, but it sure bends them over.
Josh
trailcrew

Return to Classified, For Sale, Wanted