Shapening Crosscut Saws - 1922 US Forest Service Manual

All of the information about crosscut saws that we can get our hands on! Includes a database of vintage saws and saw sharpening tools, including catalogs, photos and posts. Info on related items from axes to scabbards to wedges, vintage and new.

Shapening Crosscut Saws - 1922 US Forest Service Manual

Postby Jim_Thode » March 30th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Before the current USFS Crosscut Saw Manual there was an earlier publication that covered the same thing.

Sharpening_Crosscut_Saws USFS 1922.jpg

About the same as we see today but an unusual method for filing cutters for hardwood"
Sharpening_Crosscut_Saws USFS 1922-15.jpg

The whole manual at:
Sharpening_Crosscut_Saws USFS 1922.pdf
(15.28 MiB) Downloaded 828 times

Jim
Jim_Thode

Re: Shapening Crosscut Saws - 1922 US Forest Service Manual

Postby Arthur » December 9th, 2014, 5:02 am

Pages 6 & 7 (with Figure 5) are missing from the copy of the 1922 manual I downloaded from the link above. Is there another source for this manual?
Arthur

Postby Jim_Thode » December 9th, 2014, 9:58 am

Arthur,
It looks like the person that digitized that manual missed those pages. I did not copy it but pulled the PDF file off the internet someplace. I wonder if anyone has the original hard copy, I could not find a copy on line.

I would bet that the missing figure shows something like this:
raker pin-001.jpg

We have discussed before on this forum the advantage of raker swaging. It is interesting to note that this 1922 manual states that straight rakers are in fact equally as effective as swaged rakers (on page 3).

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby moosecreektrails » December 12th, 2014, 9:00 am

I have a pdf with the missing pages, How do I upload a PDF file? Did a search and did not see it
I also Have a old CCC R1 Crosscut manual, and a 1974 USFS Manual (Crosscut saws, description, sharpening, reconditioning) I will upload.
moosecreektrails

Postby Jim_Thode » December 13th, 2014, 9:44 am

moosecreektrails wrote:I have a pdf with the missing pages, How do I upload a PDF file? Did a search and did not see it
I also Have a old CCC R1 Crosscut manual, and a 1974 USFS Manual (Crosscut saws, description, sharpening, reconditioning) I will upload.

You can upload a PDF file the same way that you post a photo. Click on Reply, Go the bottom of the screen, Click on "Upload attachment", Browse to find the file on your computer, Click "Add the file", Put the cursor in the body of the message and click "Place inline".

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby moosecreektrails » December 13th, 2014, 6:46 pm

USFS Sharpening Crosscut Saws.pdf
(4.64 MiB) Downloaded 246 times
moosecreektrails

Return to Crosscut database