remove paint?

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.

remove paint?

Postby Gavin Longrain » July 26th, 2013, 5:32 am

Here is an old pit saw. I want to remove paint off it. How?
IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG
Gavin Longrain

Re: remove paint?

Postby Jim_Thode » July 26th, 2013, 7:53 am

I've had good luck removing paint with the same electrolysis set up as rust removal.
Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby trolleypup » August 21st, 2013, 7:22 pm

Jim_Thode wrote:I've had good luck removing paint with the same electrolysis set up as rust removal.
Jim

If the metal is clean under the paint, regular paint remover works great. If rusty or pitted, less well. Terrifically satisfying to run a plastic scraper down the length of a saw to see that under the extremely ugly "primitive" scene is a beautiful NOS saw.
trolleypup

Postby Treeline » March 3rd, 2014, 9:30 am

Gavin, how did the electrolysis work on the paint?

I picked up a pile of painted saws recently and was wondering if building a tank to clean them is the way to go.
Treeline

Postby Gavin Longrain » March 3rd, 2014, 2:31 pm

Treeline wrote:Gavin, how did the electrolysis work on the paint?

I picked up a pile of painted saws recently and was wondering if building a tank to clean them is the way to go.

Am ashamed to admit I have left the paint on it. I have v little need for rip-sawing ( and I lack a sawpit or the big trestles needed anyway) , so this project will wait whilst I improve my cross-cut techniques.
Gavin Longrain

Postby T Rumley » March 4th, 2014, 3:43 am

Hello everyone,
Very new member here so bear with me in my learning curve. To remove paint and crud on my cast iron pans I soak them in 100% lye to loosen every thing up, rinse and into the electrolysis tank. Since the saws are steel would the lye harm them?
Thanks
Tim
T Rumley

Postby Treeline » March 4th, 2014, 4:08 pm

Hoping to avoid using any harsh chemicals to get the paint off. I was reading that sometimes electrolysis by itself is enough to loosen the paint, so I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I'll post up results to the experiment. :geek:
Treeline

Postby trailcrew » March 4th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Electrolysis will remove paint. I've done a few painters that way and after the dip the snowy cabin scenes scrape right off.
Josh
trailcrew

Postby Crosscut Sawyer » March 23rd, 2014, 8:30 pm

I used "Klean Strip Aircraft Paint Remover" on a painter and got awesome results. If I remember correctly i applied with a brush, waited about 30 minutes, and scraped off the paint with a plastic scraper, then repeated on the other side. You'll want lots of paper towels and do it outside if you can, or in a well ventilated area. I haven't had the best electrolysis results, and I try to avoid that method if the saw isn't rusty, since good saw metal beneath some paint is as good as it gets. I bought a 7' 503 that looks like it was bought at the hardware store 60 years ago and painted the next day.
Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin

Postby trolleypup » June 12th, 2014, 9:00 pm

I would be more worried about running electricity through a saw than slapping on some organic solvents which are unlikely to have any effect on steel.

I just use hardware store paint remover on painters with good results. Works beautifully on clean unrusted saws, rustier/tarnished saws go directly to pumice stone cleaning once the remover is rinsed off.
trolleypup

Next

Return to Crosscut saws 101