Log Holder

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.

Re: Log Holder

Postby PATCsawyer » February 2nd, 2013, 9:31 am

If you take a step back in the filing process, you can put any degree of swage in a raker, regardless of the final depth. Just swage in the desired shape then joint down the cutters to an approximate height a few thousands above the highest raker, taking care not to go below the highest raker tip (dab the tips with a felt tip marker). At this point, finish the rakers as usual. When done, you'll have a lot of swage with very little depth. Basically you're sacrificing a filing or two off the life of the saw in exchange for the rakers of your choice.
PATCsawyer

Postby Treeline » February 2nd, 2013, 4:22 pm

PATCsawyer wrote:If you take a step back in the filing process, you can put any degree of swage in a raker, regardless of the final depth. Just swage in the desired shape then joint down the cutters to an approximate height a few thousands above the highest raker, taking care not to go below the highest raker tip (dab the tips with a felt tip marker). At this point, finish the rakers as usual. When done, you'll have a lot of swage with very little depth. Basically you're sacrificing a filing or two off the life of the saw in exchange for the rakers of your choice.

Thanks. that's what I was thinking of, swaging first then jointing it, but this all depends on how bad the rakers are to start with. potential to have to joint down A LOT if the rakers are uneven. We'll see how it goes. ;)
Treeline

Postby trolleypup » February 27th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Treeline wrote:Wow, .008 is hardly enough to swage, but maybe I'll give it a shot for Tom's hardwood saw. Could you post a detail pic of the teeth and rakers on your saw. curious to see how much swage it has and the angles on the teeth.

Thanks for posting the pics.

trolleypup

Postby Jim_Thode » July 18th, 2016, 4:58 pm

I finally made a sawbuck out of a 5"x5" post that was surplus from another project and a couple scraps of 2x10. Some of the features I thought of are:

It is low, wide and stable for use with a crosscut or chainsaw.

It is a comfortable height for a chainsaw.

It is high enough that a crosscut saw will not hit the ground on the off side.

It is low so that crosscut sawing will be down hill on the push stroke.

It is low enough so the sawyer can put a foot on a small log if necessary to hold it solid.

It is lower so heavy logs do not have to be raised very far to place on the sawbuck.

Because it is lower it uses less materials, the main cross members are 31" long.

The 5"x5" cross pieces are light weight cedar and that along with its small size make it easy to move.

The only fasteners are a few screws that hold the 2"x10"s in place. There are no exposed bolts or other fasteners that a saw can hit.

The uprights are quite short at only 8". This makes it easier to place logs but still are plenty long to hold a 20" diameter log.

P7181445a.jpg

P7181437a.jpg
Good for chainsaw use

P7181440a.jpg
Low enough to use foot as a hold down

P7181438a.jpg
High enough so the saw will not hit the dirt but low so the main push stroke is down hill

It seems to work fine but I'll still considering adding an intermediate support.
Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby goodfeller » September 21st, 2016, 5:28 am

Northern Tools sells a lightweight metal log holder/sawbuck that folds up for around $25. Not sure how long it will hold up and isn't a stable as the one PATCSawyer has and which is similar to the ones we have at various club cabins and huts and I use at home. But the Northern Tool one is convenient for on the road use though I am not sure Gavin could find it in the UK and it probably would not be worth the postage ordering it from the US.
goodfeller

Postby PATCsawyer » September 21st, 2016, 6:14 am

Goodfeller - thanks for bumping this forward, as I was going to update my sawbuck this fall. Looking at the variety of designs on this thread is giving me some ideas on how to build a better mousetrap (logtrap?). One improvement from an earlier post was the use of a ratchet strap to hold the log steady. I incorporated that trick into my existing sawbuck immediately. It would be a hassle for firewood cutters, but if you're just cutting cookies when testing saws, it's great.
PATCsawyer

Postby Jim_Thode » June 1st, 2017, 11:22 am

Here is an update on my sawbuck in use. I cut a bunch of 80" long alder windfall logs and moved them out of the wood with my tractor. I cut 20" long firewood so three cuts of each log makes four pieces of firewood. I was kind of wondering how to load the logs but with a couple of planks it was quite east to roll logs onto the sawbuck. All in all I cut nearly a cord of firewood in a day and it went well.

Loading a 400lb log with a short peavee:

The width of the sawbuck it just right so that an 80" log can be cut three times without any interference with the sawbuck. One cut on either end and a cut in the center.

Used a 4' cut off bucking saw:

About done for the day.
Saving Gas and Oil times Three. Splitting, Sawing and Miss Molly Mowing

Jim
Jim_Thode

Previous

Return to Crosscut saws 101