Log Holder

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.

Log Holder

Postby SalmonCreek » September 12th, 2012, 7:40 pm

Has there been a thread, showing photos of log holders you guys use for testing your saws? Mine is of 2 x 4's, and is about worthless. If there hasn't been a discussion or photos showing log holders, I would really like to see what you use, and how you like it.

Thanks,
Mike
SalmonCreek

Re: Log Holder

Postby Gavin Longrain » September 14th, 2012, 1:07 pm

Google Stihl Sawhorses and then search for images only.
You'll see lots like this:

I use this model myself. It is light, it folds up when you don't use it and cost about £30 - or £50. I cannot remember and I don't care , cos it is a valuable piece of kit which I would struggle to replicate myself to make such a useful item. Buy this! ( and I have no financial interest in Stihl !)
Gavin Longrain

Postby PATCsawyer » September 14th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Made this one from scrap pressure treated 4x4s. Only cost was the carriage bolts.

Sawhorse1.jpg
PATCsawyer

Postby Crosscut Sawyer » September 14th, 2012, 6:14 pm

No photos of this, but I like to use a couple of short rounds with saddle notches in them. Adjustable, nice and low and hardware free. And they are readily available and wont buckle or break.

Did you get your saw pinched PATC? :lol:
Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin

Postby PATCsawyer » September 15th, 2012, 4:12 am

If you look at all the cuts in that log, you'll see that they only go down about halfway. I can get a lot of test cuts on a log before I turn it into firewood. That particular sawbuck is low, heavy, and stays put when I'm sawing.
PATCsawyer

Postby Gavin Longrain » September 15th, 2012, 1:11 pm

PATCsawyer wrote:If you look at all the cuts in that log, you'll see that they only go down about halfway. I can get a lot of test cuts on a log before I turn it into firewood. That particular sawbuck is low, heavy, and stays put when I'm sawing.

Low and heavy is good for a shop sawbuck (or sawhorse). I do a lot of shows and so I need mine to be portable. But if you ain't gonna move him, I like the one above better. It's also a good deal cheaper.
Gavin Longrain

Postby Friartuck » September 16th, 2012, 4:14 pm

This is a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XU-vbeRZRU

I tend to lean towards this one though if I was going to buy one:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15730

I have a 2x4 sawbuck that I made from scrap that's served me pretty well so far though.
Friartuck

Postby goodfeller » September 17th, 2012, 11:48 am

Mine looks almost identical to PATCSawyers--without the saw, of course. I used some old pressure treated lumber from a fence that was coming down in the neighborhood. I used the same design for one for a maintanence hut in Shenandoah National Park. Nice thing about using pressure treated wood on that one is hikers are less likely to cut it up for firewood--at least they haven't yet and its been 5 years or more. Northern Tool also has what looks like a nifty metal portable holder for around $25 that I have been tempted to buy. Folds flat but may be too light for real heavy work.
goodfeller

Postby Gavin Longrain » September 18th, 2012, 3:43 am

goodfeller wrote:Mine looks almost identical to PATCSawyers--without the saw, of course. I used some old pressure treated lumber from a fence that was coming down in the neighborhood. I used the same design for one for a maintanence hut in Shenandoah National Park. Nice thing about using pressure treated wood on that one is hikers are less likely to cut it up for firewood--at least they haven't yet and its been 5 years or more. Northern Tool also has what looks like a nifty metal portable holder for around $25 that I have been tempted to buy. Folds flat but may be too light for real heavy work.

If you saw alone, then you need it heavy. But if I saw where folks stop by and watch (like at the shows I do :D ), then I borrow one of them and get them to lean over the work, or to sit on it.
Gavin Longrain

Postby SalmonCreek » September 18th, 2012, 7:06 am

Thanks for all the input! For my circumstances, I think the 4x4 type like PATCsawyer would be my best bet. Mine currently is just to spindly.
SalmonCreek

Next

Return to Crosscut saws 101