Spider gauges

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.

Spider gauges

Postby Starling_Saw » July 25th, 2012, 5:30 pm

Spider gauges where made by most all the saw manufacturers. Here are assortments I have collected. I have marked on the gauges the clearance that each has.
Look for them at Antique shops, yard sales, E-Bay, or you can make your own if you have the tools and material available.
I made this gauge in about 1 1/2 hours. I have made a few before so it makes it easier each time. I use old Planer knife steel (High Speed Steel) I then mark out the approximate size of each piece and then place securely in a good vise. I then take a .045 cutting wheel on my hand grinder and rough cut the pieces out. I then finish grind the pieces and then fit the pieces together. I notch the two pieces, and coat the area that I plan to weld with Black Flux. Then Silver braze the pieces together. I then finish polish the Spider guage and grind the posts flat. With the exception of the long post that you would use on the tip of the saw, that post I will grind shorter to the side clearance that you would want your gauge to be. This one I ground to .015
John
Attachments
DSC05287.JPG
Spider Guages
DSC02757.JPG
Knife steel Marked out for guage parts
DSC02759.JPG
parts roughed out
DSC02760.JPG
Finish grinding with bench top grinder
DSC02761.JPG
Pieces ready to go together. black flux and silver solder stick
Starling_Saw

Re: Spider gauges

Postby Starling_Saw » July 25th, 2012, 5:54 pm

A couple more pictures of making the Spider Guage
Attachments
DSC02764.JPG
Pieces welded together
DSC02766.JPG
Checking clearance with feeling guage
DSC02767.JPG
using the Spider on a saw
Starling_Saw

Postby Gavin Longrain » July 25th, 2012, 9:38 pm

I now see this would be easy enough to assemble - if you have the tooling available.

In a book called Saws and Sawmills for Planters and Growers by John Morris I see spider gauges made from 'T' section steel girder. The girder is cut approx 10 or 15 mm length. Steel is then removed from all but each extremity of the 'T'. Finally you remove how ever many thou you want from the long arm of the 'T'. You can have different settings on each side. I have yet to try this myself, but I will.

Has anyone tried the 'T' girder method? It could be quicker than that shown above.

Also: has anyone tried casting them in sand?
This would seem to be the quickest method of mass production achievable with backyard technology.
Gavin Longrain

Postby SalmonCreek » July 26th, 2012, 11:41 am

Good looking spider gauge, nicely done!
SalmonCreek

Postby benjaminkansas » July 26th, 2012, 6:56 pm

Very professional John.It looks like the cast ones we use.well done.Have you thought of making an adjustable modle?Brother Benjamin.
benjaminkansas

Postby soli » January 24th, 2013, 11:31 pm

Sweet work John! Here's my plumber's tape version. Critiques and suggestions for improvements would be most welcome.

img_0223.jpg.1.jpg

img_0205.jpg.1.jpg

img_0207.jpg.1.jpg
soli

Postby Jim_Thode » January 25th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Soli,
This has to be the easiest to make home made spider I have seen. As long as it is stiff enough to hold its shape, it should work well. Another option for a stiffer design would be to start with about a 1/2" long section of about 2" dia steel pipe. Then just hammer into the diamond shape and file/grind feet into it. If fact, even with your design, feet could be shaped on both sides with different settings on each side. You can never have too many spider of different setting.

Another option would be to start with about 6" of 1/8" x 1" steel strap. Then bend to shape and bolt or weld together. It would be a little stiffer then the plumbers tape.

Good idea,
Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby goodfeller » January 29th, 2013, 10:06 am

These are great. PATCSawyer posted pictures a while back of an adjustable spider he made that works great. I just made one using a dial indicator along the lines of Jim's using any old hinge. I will post some pictures.
goodfeller

Postby soli » April 18th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Jim_Thode wrote:Soli,
This has to be the easiest to make home made spider I have seen. As long as it is stiff enough to hold its shape, it should work well. Another option for a stiffer design would be to start with about a 1/2" long section of about 2" dia steel pipe. Then just hammer into the diamond shape and file/grind feet into it. If fact, even with your design, feet could be shaped on both sides with different settings on each side. You can never have too many spider of different setting.

Another option would be to start with about 6" of 1/8" x 1" steel strap. Then bend to shape and bolt or weld together. It would be a little stiffer then the plumbers tape.

Good idea,
Jim

Thanks again for the feedback Jim. Plumbers tape comes in various gauges. Relatively speaking, the copper plated steel that I've used is quite heavy, heavy enough for shelf storage, but not heavy enough for tool box storage. I like your idea of using pipe or tubing. I'd expect even a tin can would be plenty ridge for actual use if one were careful to not drop anything on it. For the leg that touches against the tooth point, one could possible thread a small nail, say 6d, through the tin, then file the nail's point flat.
soli

Postby soli » April 18th, 2013, 3:52 pm

goodfeller wrote:These are great. PATCSawyer posted pictures a while back of an adjustable spider he made that works great. I just made one using a dial indicator along the lines of Jim's using any old hinge. I will post some pictures.

I've seen the dial indicator spiders and would love to make one, though I'd need to have some pointers on how to evaluate and choose a good gauge on ebay.
soli

Next

Return to Crosscut saws 101