66" Simonds #133 Value?

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.

66" Simonds #133 Value?

Postby MNSHIELD » January 8th, 2018, 3:55 pm

Hey Folks~

I was hoping for a little insight to the Value of a 66" Simonds #133 Untouched. I can not see the model number but everything matches up with the #133 The saw no longer has its shinny surface, but it does not look rusted. Just black now and everything elst is the way it should be. I can see the Simonds Etch easily and the red paint on the end. Looks to be manufactured abound the 1950.

Ends- 3 3/8
Middle - 5.5"
Length- 66"

I do not have any pics.

Thanks for any thoughts!

MNSHIELD
MNSHIELD

Re: 66" Simonds #133 Value?

Postby Jim_Thode » January 8th, 2018, 7:48 pm

With matching unused handles, a clear logo and a bright original finish I'd guess about $300+. As it is W/O handles, dark surface and not fully legible logo I'd guess $150 to $200.

It really depends on where it is sold also. The highest prices seem to be on Ebay. I've seen similar saws at flea markets and such for as low as $20.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby MNSHIELD » January 9th, 2018, 3:22 am

Wow~ that is quite a range! The starting price was over $300 and to me seemed high.

If this saw changes ownership I will get some pics posted.

Thanks Jim for the info!

MNSHIELD
MNSHIELD

Postby sumnergeo » January 10th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Not clear if you have the saw and are wondering what it is worth or someone is selling a saw and you are wondering if the price is reasonable.

A lot depends on where you are and what people in that area might do with such a saw. I get the sense that the Pacific Northwest is a hot bed of saw collectors. I seem to recall a post where someone was trying to get Royal Chinooks in all the available lengths. I don't think he was using them, just wanted to have them.

For trail work of the sort that we do in Wilderness Areas, a Simonds No. 133 is nearly ideal. Easy to get wedges in, long enough to handle most downed logs, not too difficult to carry, etc. That said, the one we use I picked up for $20 in Hastings, Minnesota. The seller had no use for the saw and wanted it gone.

For use in cutting firewood, a D-handle is just fine. Again, most every one I know just assumes that there is a chainsaw that cut all the logs around the cabin and can't believe that they were cut By Hand!

So, a collector somewhere might pay big bucks for a saw. As a user, I don't like the idea of having a really expensive saw that can expect some rough handling.
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby MNSHIELD » January 12th, 2018, 5:30 am

The saw is for sale local. Over all the saw is on great shape and has never been used. If I were to purchase the saw there is a good chance I would use it for work.

Thanks
MNSHIELD
MNSHIELD

Return to Crosscut saws 101