Simonds 325 details

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.

Simonds 325 details

Postby NEALogger » July 16th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Good day everyone, this is my first post and I'm a saw newbie, so take a good sip of coffee as I have a LOT of questions :P
I'm looking at any kind of information, even historical, that I can get on the only saw I own. See pictures below:

1.JPG
Simonds 325 saw with origina saw guard

IMG_0115.JPG
Etching

IMG_0123.JPG

Specific questions:
  • Is this one of the later manufactured 325? The etching doesn't feature an old "artistic" logo. Is it possible to determine an approximate date?
  • What was the Simonds 325 designed for? I know it's a felling saw, but they are all over the place and I just noticed through the old Simonds catalog that this must have been one of their early saws as this model has been featured from 1909 to 1963 at least. One of the catalog mentions it was designed for pulpwood. Why so and does some people use it for something else? Is there that much diffence between a 325 and a 133?
  • It looks brand new (never used) to me. Is this possible? If you look at the 3rd pic, it seems to me the lines running with the teeth are score marks from the original cutting process and that the lines running parallel with the blade, curved to match the profile, are grind marks? And so this would have never been filed? If my assumption is right what "filing profile" would you recommend? I'm going to use it as a felling saw.
Many thanks
NEALogger

Re: Simonds 325 details

Postby PATCsawyer » July 16th, 2017, 3:29 pm

I can't answer all your questions, but I've had a number of these saws pass through my shop, mostly from sawyers in the southeast USA. It's not that uncommon to find them in NOS condition. The steel is tough and I will heat the teeth and rakers before swaging. When I get a 325 that's been previously filed and hammer set, I look closely for stress fractures on the teeth. You can find those quickly by running fine grit sandpaper over the tooth to remove any rust. They will let in moisture and cause the tooth to break off when reset.

P1020468.jpg

Though a narrow saw, it is much stiffer than the average felling saw due to thicker gauge steel on the teeth and can be single bucked if you're careful. Trail crews like it because they can get a wedge in behind it a lot sooner than with a full bodied bucking saw.

The bi-directional grind marks are typical for this saw. I doubt if yours has been filed post-factory.

P1000827.JPG
PATCsawyer

Postby Jim_Thode » July 16th, 2017, 4:26 pm

Nealogger,
Yes, based on the etch your saw looks newer, probably mid century rather then early 1900's. It is not really that uncommon to find saws that have never been used or filed. Nice saw.

The 133 has 5 gauges of taper and the 325 has three and is not as deep. Generally speaking a saw with two holes on the ends are considered bucking saws but both the 325 and 133 could be used for falling too.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby trailcrew » July 18th, 2017, 5:18 am

Nothing much to add, except nice saw and welcome to the forum! The 325 is probably the two-person saw I see the most around me (NC). Makes a great trail saw.
Josh
trailcrew

Postby NEALogger » July 18th, 2017, 7:36 am

Thanks all for your replies. Was there any differences between a saw manufactured in the USA than a saw manufactured in Canada?
So if I understand correctly, although designed as a felling saw for pulpwood, it is used a trailwork saw for both felling and bucking.
I'll be bucking next to my cabin, so I'd rather benefit from the weight of a heavy saw. I'll ask about a question on this specifically later.
NEALogger

Postby sandersdwa » July 20th, 2017, 5:41 am

The Simonds Canadian saws will have a three hole pattern for handle holes and the etches will have Simonds Canada Saw Co.

Here is a link to pictures of my 48 inch Simonds Canadian 325 I recently acquired.
Note that I have not found a catalog that shows Simonds ever made a 325 shorter than 4 1/2 feet long.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzGpf ... jFSUmlvd1k

Here is a link to my Simonds Canadian 22 that includes information about the three different Canadian etches you may find and can use for dating the Canadian saws.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzGpf ... 0JuRlM3eTQ

Let me know if the links do not work.
sandersdwa

Postby NEALogger » July 24th, 2017, 10:59 am

Link works, thanks for the info!
NEALogger

Return to Crosscut saws 101