tooth-pitch matched to log-diameter?

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.

tooth-pitch matched to log-diameter?

Postby Gavin Longrain » May 30th, 2017, 4:36 am

Is there any formula to relate tooth-pitch to log-diameter?
Or some experience you folks can share?

I will be giving talks soon to various groups. I want to suggest appropriate saws to select.

Assume that most UK bucking will be for diameters less than 12 inches, what tooth per inch is appropriate?
And if you were bucking 6 inches, would that change?
Gavin Longrain

Re: tooth-pitch matched to log-diameter?

Postby PATCsawyer » May 30th, 2017, 2:06 pm

I personally like Champion-toothed saws for small diameter hardwood. Easy to start, forgiving of saw stroke, and don't need big gullets to collect the chips. A six-inch log would likely get my Corona pruning saw.

P1030635.jpg
PATCsawyer

Postby Jim_Thode » May 30th, 2017, 6:49 pm

I've never seen any formula to relate tooth-pitch to log-diameter. Probably more relevant then the tooth pitch is the size of the gullet. Full sized crosscut saw have gullets large enough to clear the cuttings on very large logs. For smaller logs, smaller gullets are needed and the added benefit of smaller gullets is that they are easier to start on smaller logs. Also so saws with smaller gullets also likely have the cutter teeth spaced closer together but the two things are not always relative.

For example modern racing saws have quite large gullets but the cutter teeth have a pitch of about 4 teeth per inch.
Z99A9665a.jpg

Also as PATCsawyer said when you get smaller, in the range of 4 or 5", then a modern pruning saw is the most efficient saw.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Gavin Longrain » May 30th, 2017, 11:15 pm

PATCSawyer,
Thanks for Corona picture above.

Will you please post picture of this saw with at least 12 inches of ruler in view, with ruler-end touching one cutter? I can then work out the pitch of rakers, gullets & cutters.
Like this:

20170531_084021.jpg
Place one end of ruler on a cutter
Attachments
20170531_074048.jpg
Gavin Longrain

Postby Gavin Longrain » May 31st, 2017, 1:49 am

Jim_Thode wrote:...
For example modern racing saws have quite large gullets but the cutter teeth have a pitch of about 4 teeth per inch.

Jim shows a picture of modern racing saw above. Can anyone ( perhaps Jim?) provide a photo of such a racing saw with a ruler along hopefully 12 inches of the tooth-line so I can see what is the spacing of gullet, raker and cutters?
Gavin Longrain

Postby PATCsawyer » May 31st, 2017, 4:14 am

I think the one in my pic was a later model Disston 554, but I no longer have that particular saw. Here are two 554's, older model at top, more recent at bottom. The smaller teeth and closer tooth spacing lets the top saw start easier in small diameter hardwood.

P1040004.jpg
PATCsawyer

Postby Jim_Thode » May 31st, 2017, 6:56 am

The racing saw has about a 3/4" opening on the gullet and the cutters are about 1/4" wide for each cutter. The gullets are about 2 1/2" deep. They come in 2, 3 and 4 cutter (peg) styles and the whole saw ranges from 5' to about 6 1/2' long.

This should be close:
Z99A9665a2.jpg

This is a 3 peg (cutter) style:

Jim
Jim_Thode

Return to Crosscut saws 101