Gavin experiments with 2-part D handles

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.

Gavin experiments with 2-part D handles

Postby Gavin Longrain » May 2nd, 2017, 1:27 am

I will soon offer these 2 part D handles for sale. They will be final-tested at Bodgers Ball 2017 in Shropshire. Their great advantage is the ease of locating your holes perfectly on the saw-plate.I rout them from 12 mm ply.
20170429_101129.jpg
This image shows 3 dowels located and one hole awaiting dowel

20170429_110145.jpg
Helper and D handles fitted!

20170429_110124.jpg
Gavin Longrain

Re: Gavin experiments with 2-part D handles

Postby dayle1960 » May 3rd, 2017, 1:48 pm

Gavin, I have a D-handle and HATE it because it is uncomfortable in the palm of my hand. Your D-handle looks very similar to the one I have. I've thought that a D-handle could be better if the palm area would be shaped like a Disston D-8 manufactured in the mid to late 1800's. I know the Disston handles have horns which keep you hand in contact with the handles in three area, but it sure does feel great in the palm of my hand.

Have you given any thought to reshaping your D-handle palm area to that of a Disston D-8 handle?

Just curious.

Terry
dayle1960

Postby Gavin Longrain » May 4th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Here is one D8 handle -
with thumb grip.
Apparently that helps ripping but not crosscutting.Image
More info on d8 handles is here.

I'd welcome others' opinions but I reckon the upper lobe is useless on a crosscut saw. That second lobe reduces the angles the saw can work at. Dolly Chapman is here next week. I can ask her direct.
Gavin Longrain

Postby Jim_Thode » May 4th, 2017, 9:02 pm

The 2-part D handle is quite clever.

In general I think D handles are great for cutting logs on a sawbuck but not very good in the woods bucking logs. If you are bucking logs you will have to underbuck sometimes and a D handle is a real pain when underbucking. An improvement for underbucking would be to cut off the lower horn/lobe but even then the angle is still wrong.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby dayle1960 » May 5th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Hmmm. Thanks for the reply, Gavin. But I think I didn't get my point across. All I was trying to get explain was the palm swale on the D-8 is a lot more comfortable than a D handle. Forget the horns or the angle of the horns and just feel the palm area of the D-8. It is so sweet in my hand while a D handle feels like a square piece of wood.

Sure the D-8 has a thumb hole which is used for ripping boards, but it that was not part of why I was mentioning it. Heck, look at a Disston #7, a Disston #99, or any mid 19th century Disston hand saw and once you put it in the palm of your hand it feels wonderful.

Now the D handle log cutting saw just is a pig in my hand. If I were out in the woods bucking logs all day long I'd want a saw handle that was comfortable.

Maybe just shave some parts of the palm swale on the D handle to replicate the Disston D-8 handle and then THAT would be a fine example of a bucking saw handle.

Terry
dayle1960

Postby Gavin Longrain » May 5th, 2017, 11:49 pm

This is very useful. Thanks all for your comments - which motivate me to create & sell d-8 if I can.

I assert the major use of crosscut saws in UK is for occasional sawbucking already-felled logs, i.e. not for continuous or forest work. So bog-standard D-handles work good enough here IMO.

That said, if I could get CAD drawings of a D-8 handle, I can then reproduce them with the router.

I don't have a D-8 handle. So if any one with a D-8 handle could
    - render it in CAD and
    - give me access to those CAD-files
I'd be delighted to send 'em a two-part D-8 in exchange.

Could it be as simple as putting a D-8 on some scanner and that then creates the CAD-drawing?
Gavin Longrain

Postby Highway » May 11th, 2017, 9:25 am

Gavin, I have a D8 without the extra thumb hole...I could do a full size picture and send to you. You are correct that this handle feels GOOD!
Highway

Postby Gavin Longrain » May 16th, 2017, 10:58 am

Thanks for that. I will take advice from my boffin-pals about just what we need from you in the CAD-way and revert.
Gavin Longrain

Return to Crosscut saws 101