milling marks on a flat saw?

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.

milling marks on a flat saw?

Postby Gavin Longrain » February 4th, 2017, 8:49 am

20170201_142053.jpg
Rotary milling marks

Whilst cleaning up this GA 16 Gauge saw, I noted the milling marks where handle had been. This is a flat plate i.e. not taper nor crescent ground.

How common is this sort of milling on a flat saw? What was its purpose ?
Gavin Longrain

Re: milling marks on a flat saw?

Postby brianthehurdler » February 5th, 2017, 11:41 am

I'd imagine that these aren't milling marks at all, but possibly the marks left behind by the handle itself?
Either the 'imprint' of the tooth marks left by the blade that cut the kerf or maybe the residue of a glue or sealer that was on the handle. Possibly even a combination of both of those things - the image of the tooth marks has been etched into the metal by the glue/sealer.

Have you tried scraping it off? Is it genuinely etched/cut into the metal?

Brian.
brianthehurdler

Postby Sawman » February 5th, 2017, 2:54 pm

Hi Gavin you are correct they are made by a grinding stone. To get a sheet of steel to be flat free from imperfections they would have had a large circular stone travel over the plate. Depending on the speed,travel over the plate and size of stone this would show on the saw plate. If the saw was put in quickly then it would leave circular marks with large spaces between them.(like yours) Slow pass over then the marks are very close together. They are very common on large saws the two photos are of a kitchen knife
IMG_0846.jpg
with them on as an example and a 3 foot crosscut (you have to blow up the photo to see them)
P1040240.jpg
As it is 10 at night I could show other examples but it is a bit to late.
Sawman

Postby Jim_Thode » February 5th, 2017, 6:53 pm

I'm thinking that Brian is correct. The marks look like they were made by the saw marks on the wood handle. If they were grinding marks the spacing of the ridges would be uniform. If you look closely at the marks the spacing is not uniform.
Jim

Handle marks.jpg
Jim_Thode

Postby Sawman » February 7th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Looking at photos last thing at night and making a snap decision. Agree they look like something more to do with the handle. The photos I have enclosed is where I was coming from there appears to be two types of grinding the first is the circle type which is were I made the comment about the handle because I have seen this many times on long saws.
DSCF0017.jpg
Gavin if you look at your Sandviks if memory serves me right they are very clear on them. Then there is a second grind that runs the full length of the saw which give its distinctive grain effect. The last photo shows both circle and long grind.
L1020277.jpg
Sawman

Postby Starling_Saw » February 11th, 2017, 8:08 pm

I think the marks on the saw are from the saw kerf marks in the slit of the handle. when moisture soaked into the wood, the water retained in the fibers of the wood, then rusted the saw steel. I remember a photo of a saw, maybe here in this forum?, where a saw was left in a log that wasn't quite sawn through, and the wood left an etch on the mid-section of the saw, of the yearly growth rings of the log.
John
Starling_Saw

Return to Crosscut saws 101