My New Sawing Partner - A Rubber Bungee

Got a question? New to the forum? Feel free to post your questions here.

My New Sawing Partner - A Rubber Bungee

Postby Jim_Thode » December 2nd, 2014, 2:00 pm

Clearing windfalls with a crosscut saw. Good free winter wintertime exercise and it starts the firewood pile for next winter. Also checked out my rubber bungee saw partner. I made several cuts with some cuts with a rubber bungee tied to the end of the saw to pull the saw back. Most of my effort was pulling on the saw with very little pushing. With the rubber bungee the saw ran smoother and straighter. There was no catching or whipping of the tip of the saw with the bungee. I was hard to tell exactly because the center rot got less as I proceeded up the log and I got more tired as time went on but there seemed to be about a 10 to 15% sawing time savings with the bungee. That does not count the time it takes the rig the rope and bungee.

I don't know how common this was but I have been told something similar was done went cutting firewood in the days when crosscuts were the only way.

The log is a frozen western hemlock. The saw is a cut off/broke off 7' heavy bucking saw about 50" long. Probably a Royal Chinook.

A video at:
http://youtu.be/iH71aMk8lmw

GOPR1951a.jpg

Jim
Jim_Thode

Re: My New Sawing Partner - A Rubber Bungee

Postby sumnergeo » December 2nd, 2014, 3:21 pm

Mighty good ambidextrous sawing!
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby Jim_Thode » January 18th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Here is more info I found about a rubber (bungee) sawing partner. The traditional name is Rubber Man. The definition from "Woods words; a comprehensive dictionary of loggers terms" is:
Rubber man — Any kind of a rig used by old time fallers working alone, to haul the saw back. An inner tube or a bent sapling sometimes will do.

I also seen references where is was used by buckers. That may have been required with more limber bucking saws.

And a vintage photo:
robber-man-002.jpg

Another historical reference refers to the rubber man when cutting ties:
From, "Trails of the Past: Historical Overview of the Flathead National Forest, Montana, 1800-1960"
"After falling the tree, the sawyer would cut the tree into 8' or 8-1/2' sections, depending on the desired length of the tie. An 11" diameter section would make one tie. A 24" diameter section would yield four ties. Teams of sawyers would follow the strip blazed by the cruisers. Some sawyers would work alone in order to earn more money (they were paid per tie). In order to be able to handle the two-man crosscut saw without a partner, the sawyer would use a makeshift tool called a "rubber man." He would drive a rod into the ground opposite his position by the tree and then would secure a "rubber band" made from an inner tube to the rod and to one end of the saw. The "rubber man" would pull the saw from one side, less efficient than another sawyer but workable."

A modern photo:
vlcsnap-2015-01-13-18h10m28s195a.jpg

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Beowulf » July 8th, 2015, 8:39 pm

This is genius!
I am amazed by this..and you cutting all kinds of trees with these systems you make up!!
Beowulf

Postby whirlibird » November 24th, 2016, 9:11 pm

Jim,
What are you using for your rubber man? I wasn't able to tell from watching the video if it was a rope and a regular bungee strap or a longer rubber band. How did you attach it to the saw?

Brian
whirlibird

Postby Jim_Thode » November 24th, 2016, 10:36 pm

whirlibird wrote:Jim,
What are you using for your rubber man? I wasn't able to tell from watching the video if it was a rope and a regular bungee strap or a longer rubber band. How did you attach it to the saw?

Brian

Brian,
In this video I used about a dozen 3' long sections of 1/4" rubber bungee shock cord. You can find all sizes of that on line but the 1/4" is what I had on hand. Other things used in the day were a rubber band made out of a tire inner tube or a springy stick or sapling.

A video with a springy stick here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBmV-p1yhVc

I used a small shackle to attach the rope to the saw.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Jim_Thode » November 25th, 2016, 8:35 am

whirlibird wrote:Jim,

Brian

Here is a photo of the "spring":
158805217.si8iyK6y.vlcsnap2015011317h54m50s184a2.jpg
Jim_Thode

Postby whirlibird » November 25th, 2016, 11:04 am

Thank you Jim for posting the picture. I will have to keep an eye out for something like that to use. Seems like many times that would work more easily than a springy stick, but maybe not. Just in the last couple of months I can think of several times a rubber man would have been helpful. I am not ambidextrous, at least not very much, so there have been times finding a spot for a second person is a challenge when bucking a log. Maybe that will improve with more experience.

Brian
whirlibird

Return to Crosscut saws 101