length

Here by popular demand, a forum dedicated to rip saws. We're definitely going against the grain with this one!

Re: length

Postby chancwj » December 8th, 2015, 2:20 pm

Four feet.

I figure that could rip up to a two foot diameter log. And that's about all I'd be able to handle by myself.
chancwj

Postby Gavin Longrain » December 9th, 2015, 6:24 am

chancwj wrote:Four feet.

I figure that could rip up to a two foot diameter log. And that's about all I'd be able to handle by myself.

Have you some way to move that 2 foot diameter log about? perhaps a jib-crane or hoist?
Anyything longer than 2 feet and with 2 foot diameter I'd struggle to move with one man. But give me log tongs and another helper and I can do quite a bit.
Gavin Longrain

Postby chancwj » December 9th, 2015, 7:10 am

No, I don't have a way to move a log that big. And I currently don't have any friends interested in helping me.

In reality, brianthehurdler gave a great answer to 8yearplan's question. I doubt I could handle a log much over 12" diameter. Like brianthehurdler I "fancy an occasional go." But whereas brianthehurdler suggested a 6 foot pit saw, I'm thinking about making a frame saw like Trustee.

Now there is one situation where I think I could handle a two foot diameter log by myself. That's when the trunk is still rooted in the ground. Then I would attempt to rip the log into manageable lumber before I saw it off at the bottom. I could imagine this happening with a tree partially uprooted by a storm, or perhaps if a neighbor wants a large tree removed from their yard.
chancwj

Previous

Return to Rip Saws