single handed ripping and Japanese saws

Here by popular demand, a forum dedicated to rip saws. We're definitely going against the grain with this one!

single handed ripping and Japanese saws

Postby Gavin Longrain » June 2nd, 2013, 5:20 am

The Japanese maebiki is used to rip logs single-handed. They don't need a saw pit or PAIR of trestles and small logs can be ripped. There is a group of enthusiasts in England into Japanese tools including saws ( Japanese Tool Study Group) who meet monthly, and they wish me to get them a maebiki blade cut.
Here's a maebiki
Some Japanese saw guru will visit them from Japan in the next 2 months to pass on his knowledge. If interested in any of this PM me and I'll give you more details re next meeting of Japanese Tool Study Group 9th June 2013, at East Clyffe Farm, Salisbury Road, Steeple Langford, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP3 4LZ
Gavin Longrain

Re: single handed ripping and Japanese saws

Postby Bodgerted » June 2nd, 2013, 6:51 am

What a great picture showing how to rip single handed with the maebiki. The two sawyers are ripping away happily, one above and one below, in different kerfs on the same log. Meanwhile in the background another log is being marked up with a set square. The fourth figure is carrying a longer saw with a convex cutting edge across his back.Perhaps that is the Japanese version of a cross cut saw. The log itself has been hewn on all four sides.
If getting some made please reserve one for me. I just wonder if the key feature is the very broad blade and whether the teeth are of the incut type as in Japanese pull saws.
Maybe I won't have to wait until people visit me, (who I can employ as underdogs), to get on with planking my logs.
Bodgerted

Re: single handed ripping and Japanese saws

Postby Gavin Longrain » June 2nd, 2013, 7:00 am

Bodgerted wrote:What a great picture showing how to rip single handed with the maebiki. The two sawyers are ripping away happily, one above and one below, in different kerfs on the same log. Meanwhile in the background another log is being marked up with a set square. The fourth figure is carrying a longer saw with a convex cutting edge across his back.Perhaps that is the Japanese version of a cross cut saw. The log itself has been hewn on all four sides.
If getting some made please reserve one for me. I just wonder if the key feature is the very broad blade and whether the teeth are of the incut type as in Japanese pull saws.
Maybe I won't have to wait until people visit me, (who I can employ as underdogs), to get on with planking my logs.

PM sent that you could join the JSTG next weekend in Salisbury. I suggest you call Michael Huntley who runs the group and discuss your particular interests.
Gavin Longrain

Return to Rip Saws