Disston "Extra"

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.

Disston "Extra"

Postby Treeline » February 8th, 2014, 7:36 pm

I have a 5.5' Disston bucking saw that I was hoping to get some history on before I start into it. The saw is pretty worn, but appears old and has a really interesting shape. It is a Lance Perforated bucking saw with Eastern ends. the spine curves up rather than being straight like most bucking saws, and opposite of the swayback of felling saws. It has a somewhat readable Disston etch. Also has another etch off to the side which I've never seen before. Trying to determine if this saw is rare enough that I should try to keep it somewhat original as I begin the tuning process, or if it's nothing special, I was planning on cutting it down and doing some modification like cutting off the Eastern ends, removing the connectors between teeth, deepening gullets, welding in new teeth, etc. and putting it back into service.

Any info appreciated!

Here are some pics:

whole saw, pretty worn as you can see and a couple of teeth missing.

in this photo you can see the "anti-sway spine" along the edge of my make-shift cleaning table.

In this one, you can see it's pretty clean, but has short teeth with some broken.

Here you can see the main Disston etch. I've never seen that "extra" along the top.

A few inches to the right is has this secondary etch. Much harder to read, but I believe it says:

"Lance Perforated"
"Extra High Temper"
"Superior Quality and Finest"
"Improved Crosscut Saw"
"Unequaled Toughness"
"Four Gauges Thinner on Back"

Anyone have any info or thoughts?

I was planning on cutting it down, tuning it and getting it back to work unless it's rare enough to toss on the wall as a relic.

Thanks!
Treeline

Re: Disston "Extra"

Postby PATCsawyer » February 9th, 2014, 5:54 am

Perhaps a Disston #477, from the Crosscut Saw Database catalog listing on this site is one called "Disston Saw Catalog, date unknown". The drawing does not show a secondary etch, but the saw on the catalog cover does. Could they be the same saw?
PATCsawyer

Postby Treeline » February 9th, 2014, 7:21 am

That #477 sure looks like the right shape. Thanks for the tip on the catalogue.

I think I'm going to try to cut it down, repair the broken teeth, lower the gullets just enough to sharpen it and put it back to work. If I cut those Eastern ends off, I'll be able to joint it properly and I prefer Western handles anyway. It should come out to be 4.5' in length, which will be just fine for a trail saw.
Treeline

Postby goodfeller » February 10th, 2014, 7:14 am

That may be a Disston Suwanee; the Disston's 1919 Lumberman Handbook (p. 131) describes it and the Virginian as "designed especially for heavy and rapid cutting." As the names suggest, both the Suwanee and Virginian were produced for the Southeast forests. I posted some pictures a while back of them and someone had a Virginian not long ago that had the NRA Blue Eagle on it. The Lumberman Handbook shows both the Suwanee and Virginian with additional etchings to the right of the Disston marker saying the saw was a Suwanee or Virginian; it also has "Extra" above that marker as does your saw. I can't recall seeing one of these "in the flesh " but that may have been because the etchings were gone or I wasn't paying attention. In any case, saws were made to work.
goodfeller

Postby Arthur » January 13th, 2016, 5:50 pm

That logo looks very similar to the one on a Disston 477 in this clip from a 1929 catalog:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_U2t3s5cmjXOWdqN3pWSV91ZDg
Arthur

Return to Saw ID