Quigley one man saw.

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.

Quigley one man saw.

Postby Double Ott » December 20th, 2013, 3:10 pm

I'm trying to do some research on this saw for a friend. It was purchased on the big auction site for $70+ and shipping.

I sure would appreciate any information that you can add about the history of the saw.

Here is the original listing. I have contacted Dan, the seller and all he could add was that it is a rare saw.

Up for bid in this auction is a Vintage 4 ft. Quigley No.290 One Man Cross Cut Logging Saw with a Helper Handle. The blade has stains and a light etching that shows “Quigley” and “290” as well as what appears to be a Native American in full feathered headdress inside the scrollwork. With some research, it appears that Albert Quigley made saws in Trenton, NJ in 1869 ( Schaffer, E. L., Hand-Saw Makers of North America p.35 ref to Alexander Farnham’s Early Tools of New Jersey 1984). This saw measures 6 3/8” at the heel, tapering to 2 ½” at the toe. The handle is worn somewhat with some marks from use, but feels solid, and the helper handle is intact, in good used condition. The overall length of this old saw is 52 ¾” and it weighs in at 5 lbs. 1 oz. Be sure to check out the pictures and good luck bidding to own this Vintage 4 ft. Quigley No.290 One Man Cross Cut Logging Saw with a Helper Handle.

My regards, Tom
Double Ott aka, Tom
Double Ott

Return to Saw ID