Help dating my Simons Mine Temper?

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.

Help dating my Simons Mine Temper?

Postby Dwegner » June 25th, 2013, 8:47 pm

IMAG1183.jpg
IMAG1181.jpg

Any idea on dating would be great, not much info on these saws, I havent seen many around or even online..

Thanks, Dillon
Dwegner

Re: Help dating my Simons Mine Temper?

Postby Jim_Thode » June 26th, 2013, 10:00 am

Dillon,
The 1953 Simonds catalog does show a mine tempers saw but I don't know the range of dates they were made. Is your saw stainless steel? I'm thinking that the stainless steel ones were newer but don't have any details on that either.

You can find the Simonds catalog at:
download/file.php?id=10
Minetemper.jpg

Here is a stainless steel mine temper
144491834.a64XUU69.IMG_5071a.jpg

144491832.QMIDhhCJ.IMG_5063a2.jpg

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Dwegner » June 26th, 2013, 6:30 pm

neat ad Jim!
But no it is not stainless, which has me intrigued and I believe its a No. 221 if i remember correctly.. im real curious as to how old this gem is thanks for the reply
Dwegner

Postby ChiricahuaZac » July 11th, 2013, 7:38 am

interesting Jim. I also have a #222 but it is not stainless nor does it say "mine temper" on it like yours. the handle end of your saw is different too. the photo i have here is not very good because it does not show the logo but you can see the difference in the blade. i think mine is 4' long and it too has a slight taper.

IMG_0815.jpg
ChiricahuaZac

Postby sumnergeo » July 12th, 2013, 5:07 am

This doesn't help in your saw ID but the attached photo is a saw from Crosby, MN. I thought it was an ice saw but someone from the area looked it and said that it was a saw they used to cut timbers in the underground iron mine at Crosby. If only saws could talk!
steel-handle.jpg
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby Crosscut Sawyer » July 14th, 2013, 8:37 am

According to the 1953 Simonds catalog, the Mine Temper saw that Jim is showing looks exactly like a number 227, it's interesting that it says 222. The 222 that ChiricahuaZac has is more like the 222 in the catalog, it's a taper ground saw, not a simonds red end like the 223. Perhaps Simonds put their "mine temper" on other saws and just added the etching? In that case, Dwegner's saw might be a 221 mine temper...can you read the number on it?
I've noticed a bit of variation in Simonds numbering of their single bucks. I have a few 223's that are perf lance like the catalogs, but I also have one that is lance tooth, definitely says 223, maybe they tried a run of those, I don't know.
Does anybody have a run down of the years Simonds used their various logos that they could post? I know I have seen it before, not sure if it was here or elsewhere.
Sam
Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin

Postby Dale Torma » June 27th, 2016, 3:20 am

Was the mine temper softer to facilitate more set for the wet timber?

When my dad was in his 20's, in the 1940's, he cut white cedar lagging for the Soudan mine and the Ely Pioneer mine, with crosscut saws. They had a Studebaker truck they hauled wood with. I wish they had pictures. If you ever go on the Soudan mine underground tour, some of the wood down there was cut by my family.
Dale Torma

Postby Jim_Thode » June 27th, 2016, 7:17 am

Dale Torma wrote:Was the mine temper softer to facilitate more set for the wet timber?

Yes, see the catalog image in my post above.
Jim
Jim_Thode

Return to Saw ID