New Forum

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.

New Forum

Postby Crosscut Sawyer » December 17th, 2011, 8:58 am

Here is a new forum that I think will be useful. We've all been there: you found a great saw with no logo or a faded logo, and you want to know more about it. Let's use this space to post those questions, and discuss unique identification features such as tooth patterns, telltale signs and different logos through the years.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Enjoy!
Crosscut Sawyer
Site Admin

Re: New Forum

Postby Highway Bob » March 19th, 2015, 7:35 pm

Outstanding idea! what is the protocol for posting pictures here? And where is everybody?
Highway Bob

Post pictures - how I do it

Postby Gavin Longrain » March 21st, 2015, 2:17 pm

welcome Highway Bob!
To post pictures, I Reply. When you Reply, you'll see a tab toward the bottom of your screen: Upload Attachment. Choose an image you want to upload.

Just to the right of the image you selected, you'll see Add the file dialog box.

Wait while the file uploads - you'll see the per centage counting up to 100% uploaded. This takes my pc about 40 seconds.

Then you'll see Place inline dialog box appear. Place your cursor where you want your image to appear in your post. Then click on the Place inline dialog box.

So this image of my off-topic bicycle grain mill will first look like this to me " attachment=0]IMG_0555.JPG[/attachment" and now it appears right here because I had the cursor at the colon symbol when I hit the Place inline dialog box :
IMG_0555.JPG

BTW: You don't see the image until you Preview

I am interested to know how other folks post images here.
Last edited by Gavin Longrain on March 21st, 2015, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Longrain

Postby Gavin Longrain » March 21st, 2015, 2:18 pm

Highway Bob wrote:And where is everybody?

You will see I am in Scotland. You can edit your profile to show where you are.
Gavin Longrain

Postby Double Ott » March 23rd, 2015, 9:59 am

Sorry. I posted this in the ID section.
Double Ott aka, Tom
Double Ott

Postby Jim_Thode » March 23rd, 2015, 6:00 pm

Gavin Longrain wrote:welcome Highway Bob!
To post pictures, I Reply. When you Reply, you'll see a tab toward the bottom of your screen: Upload Attachment. Choose an image you want to upload.

Just to the right of the image you selected, you'll see Add the file dialog box.

Wait while the file uploads - you'll see the per centage counting up to 100% uploaded. This takes my pc about 40 seconds.

Then you'll see Place inline dialog box appear. Place your cursor where you want your image to appear in your post. Then click on the Place inline dialog box.

So this image of my off-topic bicycle grain mill will first look like this to me " attachment=0]IMG_0555.JPG[/attachment" and now it appears right here because I had the cursor at the colon symbol when I hit the Place inline dialog box :
IMG_0555.JPG

BTW: You don't see the image until you Preview

I am interested to know how other folks post images here.

Anther way to post photos is to link to them using then "Img" button at the top of the new message box. This method works if the image is posted someplace on the internet. The process is:

1. Find the photo on another site that is posted online.
2. View the photo online, you may have to right click on the image an select "View Image".
3. Copy the image URL in the address box of your browser.
4. Start new message or reply to an existing.
5. Click on the "Img" button above the message box.
6. Paste the image URL into the image code.

The image will show up on this forum as long as it is not removed from the original location. One advantage if linking photos is that it will show up at the original size here without having to click on the photo. Another advantage is that the normal five photo limit does not apply to linked photos. A linked photo:

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby Highway Bob » March 24th, 2015, 9:55 am

Thanks to all of you. I have discovered the camera has malfunctioned, so will go to plan "B". Not sure what plan "B" is yet. I am surprised there is not more activity on this site...the very essence of the saws and tools to maintain them is such a part of our history. Much to be learned here. I collected and restored Coleman lanterns for years...'til I ran out of room, then it was axes and now saws. Saws take up very little room compared to lanterns! As soon as I resolve the camera dilema, I will post my meager start at "fettling" saws, none of which I have any discernable markings. Thank you for sharing the knowledge.
Highway Bob

Return to Saw ID