Unknown Simonds Model NO. 324?. 6' Bucking Perf. Lance Tooth

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.

Unknown Simonds Model NO. 324?. 6' Bucking Perf. Lance Tooth

Postby MNSHIELD » December 13th, 2017, 6:54 am

6' simonds lance_ bucking.JPG
Unknown 6' simonds
I was looking for saws local and found this one in a corner at an antique shop. I knew when I bought this saw it was going to take some work to clean it up and probably a little further gone than I wanted. I assumed it was a Simonds and when I started cleaning it I could just barely make out the Decretive "S" and a few other words in the Etch. It has pitting on the teeth but I think I should be able to get it back out working again. For $20 I will not be out anything.

It is a 6' Bucking Saw Lance tooth. I looked through the catalogs in an effort to determine the model, but I can not find an example of a lance tooth pattern on a saw with eastern ends.

The ends have some interesting notching. 6 on one end 3 both the other

Measurements
End - 3 1/8"
Middle - 6"
Tooth - 14 gauge
Spine - 20 gauge

Any help would be great!

Thanks
MNShield
Attachments
6' simonds lance_ bucking_end.JPG
6' simonds lance_ bucking_end_nothces.JPG
Last edited by MNSHIELD on December 14th, 2017, 4:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
MNSHIELD

Re: Unknown Simonds Model. 6' Bucking Lance Tooth

Postby PATCsawyer » December 13th, 2017, 6:59 am

Post some pics.
PATCsawyer

Postby David's Crosscuts » December 13th, 2017, 8:02 am

Not a Simonds. That is definitely an Atkins. The ends say that, it looks like it has been gummed and the perforations cut out. That thin of a gauge saw where usually perforated to stiffen up the teeth. Possible a 225
David's Crosscuts

Postby MNSHIELD » December 13th, 2017, 8:54 am

Thanks for the Reply David's Crosscuts.

I double checked the etch I can see and it is 100% a Simonds. So I looked again at the gullets of the teeth and you are right they were gummed. I overlooked it because the teeth seemed to be plenty long. I will have to double check the gauges measurements. I can be off due to having to convert the measurement.

I would now guess it to be a No. 324.

Any idea what the notches mean?

MNSHIELD
MNSHIELD

Re: Unknown Simonds Model NO. 324?. 6' Bucking Lance Tooth

Postby sumnergeo » December 13th, 2017, 9:19 am

It has more teeth on the end than a No. 324 so I would suspect it is a Simonds No. 202 with the perforations filed away.
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby David's Crosscuts » December 13th, 2017, 10:42 am

Good thing I didn't have money on it :D . Sure looked like Atkins ends, but when a saw has been reworked, gummed, it can be tough. The notches are just personal identifying marks for ownership. You see it all the time on old tools. When I'm refurbing old tools I'm kind of surprised when I don't see ownership marks.
David's Crosscuts

Postby Jim_Thode » December 13th, 2017, 12:28 pm

sumnergeo wrote:It has more teeth on the end than a No. 324 so I would suspect it is a Simonds No. 202 with the perforations filed away.

The number of teeth on the ends varied on the same model/brand based on the length of the saw. They kind of added more or less teeth to make the saw fit in the length. The teeth spacing/configuration in the middle part of the saw should be that same on each model no matter how long the saw.

Jim
Jim_Thode

Postby sumnergeo » December 13th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Good point on the tooth count. I have a 5 1/2 ft Simonds No. 324 with seven end teeth. That is the saw we used to cut all those logs off the trail in the Chiricahuas in September. Was MNSHIELD able to see the number on the etch?
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby MNSHIELD » December 13th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Thanks for putting some ideas out there. I was not able to see the Model No. etch. The rest of the etch I can see from what I understand is the older decretive etch with all the cities in the lower arch and where the "crescent ground" words are also tapered on both ends. The numbers seem to match up with the 324 and the handles. The handles and etch do not match the 202. In hand it feels like a nice saw and the spine is very thin. I have two of these saws this one 72" and a 66". I can not see all the etch on the other either.

I found the measurements for the gullets and tooth length and I will try and measure them tomorrow.

MNSHIELD
MNSHIELD

Return to Saw ID