Has Anyone heard of Gambles?

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.

Has Anyone heard of Gambles?

Postby danello » October 2nd, 2016, 8:24 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum, so thanks for having me.
Our crew was given a vintage saw from a former employee. Under the rust I found a faint etch that I can barely read. I believe it says "Gambles" on the top line; perhaps "expert" second line; "patent" third; and "ground" on the bottom line. I've never heard of Gambles, if that's the maker. The saw is a 5 1/2 foot straight back champion tooth. Any info on the maker?

Thanks, Danielle
danello

Re: Has Anyone heard of Gambles?

Postby Trailsawyer » October 2nd, 2016, 10:08 am

Gamble's Hardware (1920) was based in Minneapolis, MN. They had stores in many cities around the country, and may still be in business?
I have not seen a saw with their name on it.
Gary
Trailsawyer

Postby danello » October 2nd, 2016, 12:46 pm

Hey thanks Gary.
Well, I live in MN, so it makes sense that this saw might have originated in Minneapolis. Would Gambles have put their etch on any saw that they had in stock? Or, was there a particular manufacturer they would have used?

Thanks again, Dan
danello

Postby Trailsawyer » October 2nd, 2016, 2:12 pm

Many hardware companies sold saws and axes with their house brands, names, or logos etched or stamped on them. There were only a handful of manufactures of saws, and probably all of them produced saws that were sold under other names.
Sears and Roebuck and Montgomery Ward are two prime exam;ples of companies that purchased saws to sell.
Gary
Trailsawyer

Postby danello » October 2nd, 2016, 2:45 pm

Right. I got ahold of a nice Lakeside saw, which I found out was the tool brand of Montgomery Wards.

Dan
danello

Return to Saw ID