New old one man saw, perforated 2 tooth and raker pattern

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.

New old one man saw, perforated 2 tooth and raker pattern

Postby Dale Torma » June 5th, 2016, 1:55 pm

I bought this saw and one other at a junk shop, it was rusty and pitchy so I cleaned it. No pits and a couple tooth tips missing. I sharpened it up, set the teeth and filed the rakers, I did not swage it. It was in fair condition , not used up.
I can only barely see some football shaped curves in the logo, and they are so faint the camera won't pick them up .
image.jpg

Here is some of the tooth pattern
image.jpg

The handle was split, so I taped it up with electrical phase marking tape. Similar to scotch 33 with color.
Dale Torma

Re: New old one man saw, perforated 2 tooth and raker patter

Postby Dale Torma » June 5th, 2016, 3:01 pm

The handle medallion is "Warranted Superior" and I can see some of the same on the etch.
Must be a second grade Disston. I wish I could read the whole etch.
Most of the saws here have the same medallion. Out of my 12 or so saws, only one is Simonds and one is Atkins.
It must have cost a bit more for the brand name saws.
Dale Torma

Postby dayle1960 » June 5th, 2016, 3:46 pm

Dang you, Dale. You're making me look like a piker with all of your good questions and great rehabbed saws. Just one question with your latest find.....How did you get the rust off of it? Electrolysis, vinegar, elbow grease with sand paper, or some other type of rust abater?

Thanks for your interest in saws. You've helped me keep my interest in them. I need to get out to the shop and sharpen my three footer.

Terry
dayle1960

Postby Dale Torma » June 5th, 2016, 6:34 pm

I knocked the major rust off oth the coarse side of a carborundum stone and water, then I cheated and used an angle grinder with a velcroed on scotch brite type pad, and the saw was kept flooded with water from a hose so the rust would wash away and the saw would stay cool. Then I finished it with a fine carborundum stone. It still took some time, about 45 minutes or so. Washed it off, dried it then wiped it down with WD40. I ruined a shirt with greasy pitchy rust, before I knew it. Need to wear a rain suit.

I get interested in something, then dive in till I am good at it. Drives my wife nuts. I need some good saws to clear trails in the BWCA after the big fire and blowdowns.

I believe I will cut up a large portion of my firewood with my crosscut and bow saws, I enjoy it.
Dale Torma

Postby Dale Torma » July 13th, 2016, 4:24 am

If I would have carefully sanded the etch, I would know what it is. The carborundum stone takes off too much metal and the powered scotch brite erases the etch before you know it.

If you want to see the etch, you have to be more careful than I was in the etch area on the saw. Otherwise the cleaning method worked well and polishes the steel.

And, I am finding out, the "Warranted Superior" handle medallions are meaningless, the saw could be anything.
Dale Torma

Postby Treeline » September 4th, 2016, 4:53 am

Here's a link to a Lakeside saw I tuned up awhile ago. Looks similar. Same tooth pattern and sway back. Handle was missing.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=595
Treeline

Postby Dale Torma » September 4th, 2016, 5:27 pm

Treeline, it does look much like your saw.
When I first posted this, I was confused by the " warranted superior" handle buttons. Now I know many times the handle buttons mean nothing, after really cleaning up more saws since I first posted this, I found out at least 6 of my one man saws are Simonds 221's.
The ones I over cleaned and erased the etch can only be identified by comparison to known saws.

Thanks for the link, I will look that saw over more closely.
Dale Torma

Postby sumnergeo » September 6th, 2016, 5:48 am

Looks like it has a swayed back. The others like that I've seen in Minnesota are Atkins or Simonds. Is it taper ground? The four starter teeth look like an Atkins 654 - the Chippewa - which is taper ground. Also looks a little like a Simonds 223 but the heel teeth don't look the same as in the Simonds 1953 catalog.
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby Dale Torma » September 8th, 2016, 6:07 am

Thanks for the info, Mr. Sumner.
Dale Torma

Return to Saw ID