Boston Saw Company?

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.

Boston Saw Company?

Postby SGWAJim » September 4th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Anyone hear of a Boston Saw Company? I got a 5 foot perforated lance tooth the other day. While the etching is too faint to photograph, it says "LANCE TOOTH", then "SILVER STEEL" , and then a medallion that says "Made By BOSTON SAW CO". Along the bottom of the etching it then says "PATENT GROUND". The Boston Saw Company appears to be in a rectangle that terminates on both sides with a diamond like arrow head.

The saw appears to be taper ground and the back is convex (not concave like a falling saw) which is a bit unusual.

Thanks for any help.

Jim
SGWAJim

Re: Boston Saw Company?

Postby Gavin Longrain » September 5th, 2015, 12:50 pm

SGWAJim wrote:the back is convex (not concave like a falling saw) which is a bit unusual.

Convex back indicates this is a BUCKING saw Jim
Gavin Longrain

Postby PATCsawyer » September 5th, 2015, 2:27 pm

Silver steel is an Atkins trade name. Where is the medallion? Do you have a pic?
PATCsawyer

Postby SGWAJim » September 7th, 2015, 9:19 am

Unfortunately I can't photograph the etching, it is just too faint and does not show up. I can't find anything on the internet. I guess I'll just get on with fixing it up. It's a nice saw from what I can tell. Thanks for the comments.
SGWAJim

Postby Trailsawyer » September 7th, 2015, 5:27 pm

I have never come across a Boston Saw, but you might contact Boston Saw and Knife Corp. - they have been around for quite a while.

"Who We Are
Since 1898, Boston Saw & Knife in Needham, Massachusetts, has been supplying clients with the latest developments in metallurgy, cutting configurations, and grinding techniques that improve tooling performance. We have access to high quality cutting tools from an extensive line of leading manufacturers. This enables us to provide solutions to the most challenging cutting problems."

http://www.bostonsaw.com/
There is also a Boston Saw and Tool, that has been in busuness since the 1940's.
Gary
Trailsawyer

Return to Saw ID