Saw that built the Erie Canal???

Post here if you are trying to identify a saw, or want to discuss specific features of saws that can be used for identification.

Saw that built the Erie Canal???

Postby beng » July 31st, 2015, 5:23 pm

Hi all,

There is truly a sucker born every minute, and maybe I proved myself one of them today. I went to a garage sale an elderly couple in their 80s was having this morning and they sold me the saw that built the Erie Canal!

They said the saw belonged to an ancestor named Mark Green and they would dig around for a photograph they think they have of him. I looked up the Erie Canal and they said it and it's extensions were constructed from 1817 through 1844, so for this saw to have been there it would have to be from that era. Can anyone comment on if this blade could possibly be that old? Eventually I will get to cleaning it up a bit and looking for markings on it. I would think if a blade were made in 1844 or earlier it would have an actual stamping instead of an etching.

Thanks for your input in advance....

beng

Re: Saw that built the Erie Canal???

Postby sumnergeo » July 31st, 2015, 6:06 pm

Probably not. A saw of that vintage would have been plain-tooth. I don't know when they started a tuttle tooth pattern like the one in your photos. You should be able to clean it up and get it into service!
sumnergeo

Location: Chiricahua Wilderness Area; Houston, Texas; Minneapolis

Postby trailcrew » August 1st, 2015, 12:02 pm

I'll agree. In the mid-1800's they were still experimenting with different tooth styles and hadn't settled on the peg and raker designs that were almost universal by the 20th century. In the Erie Canal era, the saw would've been plain tooth or one of the myriad short-lived styles that can be found in patents from the period.
Josh
trailcrew

Postby beng » August 2nd, 2015, 3:48 am

Thanks guys,

I thought the saw looked new too, and from the archives the handles look like Simonds 100 model.

The Erie Canal was in use into the 1870s, so maybe it could have been used by someone working on the Erie Canal late in its life doing some sort of maintenance work on a tow-path etc.. If the people I bought it from come up with a photo and some more information on their ancestor I will add it to this thread.
beng

Return to Saw ID